New to a Knight Disc Extreme

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edwin1947

Reaction score
I have used a Knight Revolution for years and I guess it's shortcomings are fairly well known. Very close to moving on now to a Disc Extreme Xtra (full plastic Jacket 209 ignition) .50 cal. Since I don't have friends that use muzzleloaders I'll be like a newbie again with this different style of rifle. Reading some things about plunger style rifles over at the Knight forum has me wondering if I am going to just trade a set of challenges for a different set. Seems a lot of problems arise with plunger guns that utilized 209 primers and of these the most worrisome is the destroyed primers that sometimes leave pieces of metal embedded in a shooter's forehead. And the ignition seemed to be sporatic with misfires, marginal ignition, horrible groups, etc. Is a bolt type like the Disc Extreme a plunger gun?
If the Bolt style of the Disc Extreme solves the blown primer issue and most of the blow-back it leaves the question of powder/bullet combinations. I have some loose FFFg 777 that is a couple of years on the shelf in a climate controlled (gun) room. Pitch it or use it? If I should pitch it should my next powder purchase (assuming use in the Knight Disc Extreme) be one of the FFg loose sub powders? Most forum entry writers seem to prefer FFg loose over FFFg. I know everyone has their favorite but is there really differences that over-ride other uniformity issues like cleaning, etc. or shooting skill? What is the real max load of the various powders and types if I continue using my supply of 290 Gr. Barnes (Knight) Sabot? Also I have a good supply of Winchester Triple Se7en primers. Does Knight have a max load recommendation? I wouldn't necessarily use a max charge but don't want to exceed this either.

The Extreme is NOT a plunger gun. Its a bolt action with a firing pin. I strongly advise the bare primer conversion with either a Win209 or a WinT7 primer depending on the powder you want to use.

Knights max is 150gr but most people are very happy with 120gr or less. 3FG is fine in a 50cal. Some guns may prefer 2FG but ive used 3FG in calibers upto 54cal with no issues. You can use about 10% less and often get the same results as 2FG.

I would shoot up your older powder while getting used to the gun. I see no need for over 120 grain powder charges, use less just getting familiar.

I went 'bare primer' a while back, like it. I would also gravitate towards Blackhorn 209, thought most others will work.

Once you get to know the gun and have it setup with favorite loads it shouldn't give you any headaches.

Shoot your remaining 777 powder and get used to your Extreme, using those red plastic jackets. You can change to the bare 209 primer option and a different powder like Blackhorn in the spring.

One small step at a time. Get comfortable shooting that ML first.

They are GREAT guns, you should like it. Agree with the others, shoot what you have and get used to it. You can change later if you feel the need or want to. Some folks really like the Red FPJ setup, others the Bare Primer setup. In mine, I use bare with BH209 and Win W209 primers. Gives me blowback free shooting, and great accuracy.

If you are planning on shooting the 290 Barnes & T7... the T7 primers will be fine. I would start around 90-100gr and see how she does...something in that range +/- will probably end up shooting great and have plenty of power. You can go more, but honestly I don't see where its needed unless you are shooting alot at longer distances.

Don't forget to clean the carbon buildup out of your breechplug after shooting it, and remember to make use of the secondary safety while hunting. Its a great tool to have imo. I'd recommend using it on the range too, so you train yourself to think about it.

There is a huge difference in blowby when using the Lehigh style bare primer conversion. The WinT7 primers work great in that conversion with Triple7, Pyrodex or real BP.

ATM though Knight is only offering the Mountaineer style conversion and its much more expensive than the Lehigh style conversion with the bolt adapter.

Back