New to me Omega Z5

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I won the auction on GunBroker last Sunday a week, she arrived today. Bore and weather shield coating is pristine! I only found a little fouling in the firing pin area which cleaned up great. Only powder used previously was triple seven, reason she is in this shape. This is another BH 209 rifle candidate.

Attachments

• IMG_20220322_154144422.jpg
    IMG_20220322_154144422.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 46
Love it ,can't wait to see a shooting report. It may shoot big lead just fine. If not a sub base or as you know qla removal will do the trick

I won the auction on GunBroker last Sunday a week, she arrived today. Bore and weather shield coating is pristine! I only found a little fouling in the firing pin area which cleaned up great. Only powder used previously was triple seven, reason she is in this shape. This is another BH 209 rifle candidate.
Sweet. Congrats on the win, a fine Omega.

The trigger guard seems to be hard molded plastic? Seems to be tough enough. Were all the Omega trigger guards like this or just the Z5's? I would think metal or better. This is my first handling of an Omega, so bare with me on that...

Hi just got to ask, does removal of the qla really help accuracy? Mine has been ok at 100 yds. but no tack driver by any means, my 54 side lock is ever so much more accurate, thats one reason I went back to sidelocks. I used all kinds of powder, sabbots, bullets, maxiballs ect. and got ok at 100 but not like the 54.
Coupe

I have a blued barrel Z5 w/QLA that is an absolute sniper rifle w/Hornady black sabots, .452 Barnes 275gr bullets, 90gr of BH209 and Federal 209 primers. Nearly 'same hole' accuracy at 100yds from bench. Most accurate big bore rifle I own, modern included. I added the Boyd's stock...
20220118_160314.jpg

Hi just got to ask, does removal of the qla really help accuracy? Mine has been ok at 100 yds. but no tack driver by any means, my 54 side lock is ever so much more accurate, thats one reason I went back to sidelocks. I used all kinds of powder, sabbots, bullets, maxiballs ect. and got ok at 100 but not like the 54.
Coupe
If you are shooting full bore (no sabots) it may improve alot, if your QLA is one of the one's not in line with bore. It doesn't affect shooting with sabots

Back