New to me Omega Z5

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will use a sub base before removing the QLA to shoot conicals. If Ron hadn't found out the difference a sub base makes I doubt I would have bid on the Omega. Still not a QLA fan!

Then I guess the sub base falls in with the same area as with sabots as they are a plastic gas seal not unlike the sabots just shorter. Thanks I might even try some suggested bullets and see if it gets better. One thing I did do was make sure the barrel floats when I made the walnut stock to get out of the synthetic stock, I can slip a dollar bill down the bbl. to the lug, it did help with accuracy but I'm going for the clover leaf pattern.
Coupe

Not trying to derail this thread but whatever happened to the idea of using 28 ga wads (base cut off) as .50 sub bases? Haven’t heard much in recent years. I tried this years ago and found them to work the same as MMP subs - and considerably cheaper.

Thanks toytruck lots of hrs. carving the glued up planks.

ELDiablo 28 ga. wad bases I have never tried but tried cut sabots under patched balls but not a big gain for the work, got the idea from poly patches of old......they were great if used properly.

Congrats on the Omega! They’re great guns! I’ve had one for close to 20 years but never used a sub base. Are they like a fiber wad ?

Congrats on the Omega! They’re great guns! I’ve had one for close to 20 years but never used a sub base. Are they like a fiber wad ?
Thank you! I don't have any sub bases yet. Check out the link above (post 24) that's all I know about them right now, except they allow conical bullets to be accurate shot out of a QLA barrel that is off center, which saves removing the end of the barrel.

Back