new to muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forddeadrock

Reaction score
i've never used one before very intrested in getting started can anybody tell me a good gun,cheap to get started any help would be nice :?:

I would say the Savage would be the cheapest way to go all around. 250grn XTP'S, short black MMP sabots. and N110 is a very cheap cost per shot.

I'd probably go with a NEF Sidekick. Great shooting gun with a great trigger. It shoots a lot of load combinations well.

NEF Sidekick loads

big6x6,
Offhand, do you remember any of the good loads for your Sidekick? No reason for you to search much, just anything you remember being accurate. Thanks for your help, I'm looking for a good load for my Sidekick. I love the gun, you're right the trigger is excellent.

big6x6,
Offhand, do you remember any of the good loads for your Sidekick?

Yeah... I looked back in my notes...all loads using 100-110gr ffg Triple Se7en... 250gr Barnes Exander shot really good as did a 250gr T-Shock shot really good, a 300gr Harvester Scorpion Funnel point shot great..best shooting load I found was a 250gr T/C PTX/MMP short black sabot. FANTASTIC shooting load. All the above loads certainly shot plenty good to hunt with...

What is the difference between Pyro and Triple 7? I thought that I have read before that Pyro was better because it uses real black power.

Also, what ranges were you shooting at with those loads? I would like to be good at 150 yards when I get my Huntsman.

What is the difference between Pyro and Triple 7?

Pyrodex is less potent on a grain to grain basis. That is...100gr ffg Triple Se7en will give higher velocities than 100gr Pryrodex RS. Triple Se7en is also somewhat less corrosive. Triple Se7ens main claim to fame is that it cleans up with water, supposedly.

I thought that I have read before that Pyro was better because it uses real black power

As far as I know, no. Pyrodex PELLETS do have a small amout of black powder on one end to insure positive ignition...

Also, what ranges were you shooting at with those loads?

I shot to about 165yds. You shouldn't have any problems with a 150yd shot if you do your part...

Latest posts

Back