New to site and to muzzleloading

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njpddet

Reaction score
Like it says above. I'm new to this site and to muzzleloading. I recently purchased a new TC Encore Pro Hunter. (I used my Cabelas points to pay for the gun...not a bad deal) I topped the Encore off with a Zeiss Conquest 3x9 x40. Now I have to go out and buy the gear to complete my set up so I can get to the range. I am open to any and all suggestion on what other items I will need (accesories) to get to the range. Should I clean my new gun prior to shooting it? Any suggestions on which load to start with? Suggestions on powder and/or pellets? Sabbots? Dave

[email protected]

Welcome aboard. You have made an excellent choice with the ProHunter. I have an original Encore which I love. I have never looked through a Zeiss but I've heard they are excellent scopes.
I only shoot 100 grains of Pyrodex with my Encore and use 250 grain Barnes MX Expander bullets. I have had good results with this load. Where I hunt I don't shoot over 100 yards usually but I have heard guys have great results with these out past 175 yards.
I have 2 young kids so I don't get to shoot much but there are plenty of guys here that will give you load recommendations.
They say the Triple 7 is cleaner than Pyrodex, you may want to try that. I'm going to give it a try when I run out. You may want to give the new muzzleloader Primers a try, they are supposed to help to keep your breech a little cleaner as well. I think Remington makes them, I've seen them at Walmart. I use Winchester 209 primers, I did have one dud, luckily it was at the range.
With the ProHunter's new stock you'll most likely want to be shooting 150 grains of powder. I hear the stock really helps cut down the recoil.
Anywhere here's a post from a week or so ago:

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... php?t=3882

I'm sure you will be more than happy with the Prohunter. Keep us posted on the load you decide to hunt with.

Mike

You started with one of the finest MLers for sure!

THE CYNIC has posted my range results, loads etc.

Wow...whut a great way to use those Cabelas Club Points!!! I cleaned my balance out too & them some! :lol:

:) Very best of luck with your TC Pro Hunter!!

Thanks so much for the advice. Keep it comming. I cant wait to get out there and start tweeking.

welcome

Welcome to the best ML forum on the web. And good luck with the Pro Hunter. It's my next choice for a new ML.

Just out of curiosity, how much is Cabelas selling the Prohunters for? Maybe I'll let my Cabelas bucks pile up a little longer! :D

Thanks,
Mike

I'm new to muzzleloading also. The TC Prohunter was my first blackpowder rifle. I have shot it about 100 times now. Still haven't got up enough nerve to try 150 grains yet. Have a problem with my sholder and 110 grains is about all I can stand, if I shoot very much. 85 grains of 777 with 200 XTP , harvester sabot and Win. 777 primers is easy on the sholder and pretty accurate in my rifle. I still get a crud ring but not quite as bad as Pyrodex. 100 grains of APP stick with 230 XTP, Harvester sabot and Win. 777 primers, also good load. Even less of a crud ring. I get good accuracy out to 150 yds. with both of these loads. Very satified with the TC. Bill

:) sg-bill, congrats on your first purchase of a MLer!

I'm amazed plus impressed at newbies going for the Pro Hunter as their first! Commendable & Outstanding choice to say the least. My one buddy at work just bot one too ...his first MLer. Loves it.

I screwed around for many years with all types of MLers until i finally bot the New Pro hunter this past year. If this gun would of been available years ago I likely would of saved myself of many trial & errors of trying so many others. It was sorta fun though! :lol:

With the "smoke" finally settling...I'm left with the TC Pro Hunter & my Super 91...and flinters of course to enjoy the late PA flinter only season.

Look forward to hearing some of your Pro Hunter reports on paper & meat. :lol: .

Thanks Loggy, I looked at a lot of ML before I made up my mind on the ProHunter. Reading what the guys had to say about them on the different forums had a lot to do with my decision.
what you guys say means more to me than what some paid celebrity has to say. Bill

I believe that it sold at $830.00 in regular model $899. with thumbhole but you can purchase the thumbhole later if youd like. Dave

Latest posts

Back