Night time fishing.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntin_Dawg1215

Reaction score
I went Jitter bug fishing last Saturday night. I had heard of it before but never done any of that type fishing , what a blast. I only caught 4 myself but my buddy caught 8.

Dawg, I've done that before, and surface fishing for bass on a warm summer night is tons of fun!   Jitterbugs and Zara Spooks in black, and floating Rapala's on a moonlit night worked best for me.  Only challenge I've encountered is bass don't necessarily feed all night...and seem to have time windows when they are looking for a snack.  I've found one hour after dark, a short period in the middle of the night, one hour before daylight are great times.  It seems that once you catch one, the commotion of landing a fish often triggers other fish to get in on the action.

Marty, we left just a few minutes before dark we were there for that first hour after dark. I have done some research on youtube and I thought that the hour before daylight might be best for my area of southwest Virginia. It cools down a couple of degrees. What's your thought on that idea? I have a guy that works with that has a big pond with tons of small mouths.

This Jitter bug fishing is as much fun as fishing for small mouth with a fly rod and poppers. I bought about four lures on the way home Friday from work. I am hooked! :D :D

That's ok Bob they let me use a headlight every now and then that. Kind of like golf you get an excuse.

Don't be afraid to also use a large single Colorado bladed spinner bait if they aren't hitting top water. My 2 biggest bass were caught on the same night about 5 hours apart on one. I upgraded the size of the blade on the strike king midnight special model to a <a href='/tags/8' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #8'>#8</a> blade. Lots of thump for the fish to find. 
The top water strike is very addictive and is my favorite way to fish day or night.

We fished the Jitter Bugs in the river, forgot to say that will it make a different in a pond or lake.

Huntin_Dawg1215 said:
We fished the Jitter Bugs in the river, forgot to say that will it make a different in a pond or lake.
I've done well surface fishing in large rivers using the same baits as those in ponds when fishing for smallmouths.  Caught plenty of smallmouths in the Susquehanna River fishing the backwaters at night time.

They can work well but need to be pulled slow. The buzzbait is one of my favorite baits. I have enough confidence in them I use them all day long in the right situations. I've never tried them on a river at night though. I've used them in rivers and creeks during the day with great success. Smallmouth come unglued on them and have caught fish in Indiana, Kansas, and Canada on them.

I hope to fish a pond one night this week. I will send a report.

The guy at the hardware store where I buy my Jitter Bugs told me to switch between the Jitter Bugs and the buzz bait in the river.

When I used to bass fish a lot at night my favorite was a buzzbait with black skirt and black blade. The ole black jitterbug in ponds was another favorite.

Latest posts

Back