Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40 w/ Nikoplex

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omega45

Reaction score
Yesterday I mounted a Nikon Pro Staff 3-9x40 w/ Nikoplex on a new, well actually used, .270 Encore Bergara barrel in a medium DNZ EER "Dednutz" mount. I measured the eye relief and its 3.65" according to my calipers. Glass is very nice and clear for a scope under $150.00! I have not had the opportunity to send any rounds downrange so no actual range report yet. I do not see myself getting bit by the scope due to the generous eye relief. :lol:
270.jpg

I have considered a higher dollar scope for a couple rifles then the Simmons Pro Diamond they currently wear. Although the Simmons is doing a great job really. But that same scope is the one I have considered. I was at a small sports shop. The owner is a competition shooter in rifles and honestly knows what he is talking about when it comes to calibers, and optics. When we got talking scopes and dollars.. again he pointed out that same scope as a great value. He talked me into my first Pro Staff and almost had me walking out the door with another one.

Very nice looking set up. I will be waiting to read your opinions on how you liked it on the range.

I bought one from Cabelas for $99 last year and mounted on a new .45 Omega. It is currently my most accurate muzzleloader. It's what I'll be using exclusively this season. I think you'll like the scope.

Cayuga,

The Pro Staff is great. This is a 5 shot group at 100yds with 150gr factory Remington Core-Lokt's. I have dies on hand and 130 and 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip bullets for reloading.
corelokt-1.jpg

Factory Federal 130gr Triple Shocks this morning gave me the 100yd accuracy I was looking for.
TripleShock.jpg

Now that is some fancy shooting there. WOW!! that is what I call a group.

All Nikons are great scopes. Terrific value when compared to others.

So, the eye relief being under 4" on some ProStaff models isn't an issue with the muzzleloaders? I was looking at just the Omega because of the increased eye relief. Am I worrying too much?

The Pro Staff with the BDC reticles are really nice.

I think the eye relief on the Pro Staff is 3.75 which is not bad. I will not shoot a rifle that is 3.5 or under. 4 inches is better I agree. BUT I shoot three different Pro Staff scopes. Although I use the 2-7x32mm and never had eye relief as a problem.

I have got the same 2x7-32 on my Slug Gun and eversince I added a comb raising kit to get my cheek weld right I have not been hit by it, and i shoot some of the hardest recoiling slug loads on the market.

Your rifle is sexy! I almost feel attracted to it. Does it have a facebook page???

Latest posts

Back