Nine is enough.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caplock1

Reaction score
Would you consider 9 deer a herd? Yesterday evening  I was sitting in my ladder stand with my crossbow and watching a doe and it's fawn. I wasn't too interested in harvesting a deer but I had the bow just in case a monster walked up. As the doe and her fawn walk away to the top of the property the whole herd starts to come out of the woods. I clearly counted a total of 9 does. I thought I saw a tenth but I wasn't sure.
The ladder stand is about 10 yards from the end of the bait pile, or 20 yards away from the camera, just inside the woods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkeC7CVf71E

The doe obviously smelled something she wasn't quite sure of.  She didn't raise her tail but clearly was nervous.  Had you walked in where the deer was standing?

......and YES "9" is herd! :D

I would have plunked her when she stood sideways after walking away from the corn.

I agree with Joe, she smelled where you had walked or was still leery of the blind. Is it still there?

How many deer can you kill in a season? If only one total, I would wait. If one with a bow and one with a gun and one with a muzzleloader, I would have shot her. "Bird in the hand" and all those cliches make a lot of sense to me.

Joe, I didn't go in there but I went straight into the woods after work so she might have smelled me. I know she saw me in my stand because she stood and looked at me for a long time.

patocazador, the blind is still there and the deer are still weary of it.

I've seen that happen before.  When one deer pops out into a field for a minute to make sure the coast is clear, they all come out in single file. :lol:

Back