noobie deer question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spicygunner

Reaction score
i plan on hunting for my first time next year (white tail doe with a inline .50 cal) and i was wondering how to hunt doe. I know that with bucks you use sent and calls but what do you do in doe hunting?

I hunt does the same way I do bucks. Things like sit the edges of fields they feed in, sit funnels, and the like. Im prefer to let the deer come to me. I'm not a buck hunter though as I generally hunt for the meat. A rack is a bonus. I never use calls or scents (other than a cover scent).

When hunting from a treestand for does I usually put our a curiousity doe pee scent. I spray some on soles of my boots while walkin to my stand...even with rubber boots. Tinks, HS & others has it as does James Valley Scent Company. Much depends on wind/thermal currents etc likely more so than scents though.

Obviously cover of your scent is a must as in all big game hunting. Been usin Scent Shield products for years in this area.

I even hear that some smoke a high quality cigar! Go figure. :lol:

Find the food source, and you'll find the does. If the area you hunt has alot of hunting pressure, the food sources will appear to "dry" up shortly after the opener. In this case, the deer are likely coming into the food sources after dark. Set up along travel routes 50 to 100 yards back from where the does are entering the field/food. They will likely arive at your stand site prior to darkness and you've got 'em.

Rattling occassionally works. The does come more out of curiousity IMO.

I've also heard of some hunters having succes with predator calls.....the does comes to protect the other prey animal and drive off the predator...in theory. Personally, I've only seen it work with Mule deer does. Could be worth a try.

Good luck.

DeerNut says use a preditor call and I agree. I've used it with success. Never shot the doe...just called her in. When they come they REALLY come so be ready.

I usually start by looking for tracks and trails. Concentrate on those trails with the most tracks. Then I try to figure out why the trail is there....escape route, food source, bedding area. Yes food sources are very productive. Have several spots picked out. Pick an ambush spot and setup down wind. Use camo, a tree stand or at least a blind if possible and be very still. Does are very wary. I've been busted by a doe with a fawn more times than I'm willing to admit. Here they often roam around in the morning and feed in the evening. Good luck and have fun.

Latest posts

Back