Not every day is a bluebird day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Malarial swamp humid.
So. I says to myself " Self, take the Renegade flintlock to the range"
So off I go. 70 grains 3f Swiss, 230 grain .45 Hornady XTPs and Harvester crush ribs.
She lit QUICKLY and every time. I mean percussion fast.
The 3 on the right were me. My mind was wondering off by itself...
The 6 shot cluster was MOST encouraging! Recoil was mild. Muzzleblast was not! Got some curious glances...
This was at 50 yards btw. Next time, it'll be 100. Haven't shot a flint at 100 since '07. Haven't had one accurate/ consistent enough, for me, to think it worthwhile.
I need to try the 200 grain .45 XTPs too. Nasty wee beast! A happiness with this rifle is that every load tried so far hits the same point of aim.
I know sabots in a flint/sidelock is a no-no to some. But I'm a hunter and accuracy and consistency are the gold standard when there's a critter in the sights.
Besides, FUNCTIONALLY, the sabot is no different than a patch. It's a sub caliber adapter. Nothing more.
I wonder. If the sabot hadn't been so closely timed/tied to the inline, would there be the hostility towards them?
In any event, I'm tickled with my Renegade. To think, I ALMOST sold her...

Attachments

• 20220912_124441.jpg
    20220912_124441.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
The longest .45 my 1-48 twist will stabilize, according to Greenhill, is the 250 grain XTP. That most EXCELLENT bullet needs a 1-49.
Those pesky sabots work quite well. You won't get a second shot anywhere near as fast as with a prb or conical. You NEED to swab between shots for best results. With other than BH209. Which you can't use in a sidelock. Mentioned that cuz I know someone would...

Latest posts

Back