Not sure what powder to go with

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Got myself into a pickle!

I have some old gearhart owen 2fg, goex 3f and pyrodex P. All 3 of our rifles shoot all 3 powders lights out. I was going to use 3f goex but then I remembered that old GO and decided to take 8 powder tubes of that for my hunting load.

My dad and brother are all set up with the pyrodex.

I hate carrying different powders hunting, and so I am considering just going with the Pyrodex P in all 3 rifles. I got them all set up perfectly, they shoot it excellent, easy to reload. So maybe I am just stressing out over nothing and should refill my tubes with Pyrodex P and be done with it.

Its only July, hunt starts in September, so its nice to get all of this squared away and done long ahead of the hunt. I don't even have to adjustment my sights or anything! Built my Hawken over 2 years ago and havent adjusted since then. Love that rifle.

How much difference is there?

For me I like Pyrodex anymore because it is easy to get.

oneshot

maybe pyrodex p is less spongy than regular pryrodex. it is the most rust causing powder of any made. i had some once and poured it on the flower bed as it makes good fertilizer. few can make groups that are consistant shot after shot with it. real black powder is another story. consistant shot after shot good groups with real black can be achieved.

I like real black powder best. I know its hard for some to get a hold of without having it shipped in.

I just bought 6 pounds of Alliant Muzzleloader MZ but haven't tried it yet. I posted about it in the Blackpowder section over at thefiringline forum and one responder kept comparing it to Kitty Litter in size. Here is my thread.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=596610

I got mine from Sportsmans Warehouse for $10 a pound. In open burning test it seems good. If it ever cools off around here from the 100* plus days I will give it a real test and report the results here.

What Hawken rifle do you have?

This is a no-brainer. All of you shoot Goex the real powder.

Why shoot old technology in a gun and then use modern powder? Might as well use a sabot too.

Burlesonton, It is kitty litter size. That was me responding of course.

I think I am going to let my dad and brother use Pyrodex P since that is what they are dialed in with. My dad can not shoot his rifle to much due to bruising badly on his arm from the recoil. I got my loads already ready to go, so 80gr 2fg Gearhart Owen it is!

My ex girl friend works with a fellow that used to shoot BP and he mentioned he had some stuff for sale and she bought me 3 lbs of it, along with all kinds of round balls and other items. I use it very little as its a  great accurate powder!

Yes Jon I knew that was you. I just wanted to Razz you a little. :blah:

I think you made the right choice on the powder. Nothing better than real black powder.

I think so to! I got the other guys rifles set up with great nipples to set the pyrodex off, so I think they will be good to go.

I tried to install a new spit fire nipple I bought for mine but that sob was to long and did not seat up against the drum :evil:

"My ex girl friend works with a fellow that used to shoot BP and he mentioned he had some stuff for sale and she bought me 3 lbs of it, along with all kinds of round balls and other items".

And you let her get away???

I don't know how much your dad and brother are into traditional muzzleloading, but you of all people should be using nothing but real black.

Read your PM's.

Limited stock Pete. I got a ton of pyrodex and its nice and accurate.

Yeah, but it's....................pyrodex. Barf.....

You know better. Use it up and get real BP, or just let your brother and dad use it all.

LOL that Pyrodex out shot every person at rendevous last year. Even out did them with some chunky American pioneer my friend had in his horn. Talk about a close call to! I used all my powder first and had to use his APP horn for my last 3 or 4 shots, including one at 125 yards off hand :say whhhhhat: You talk about starting to sweat at the end!

I know it works Jon. Burns cleaner too. However, it's just wrong if you want to be traditional and I know you do.

Unless you ride a horse or mule into the rendezvous,nobody is 100% traditional.

I prefer Goex or Swiss,but have no problems using Pyrodex.

Back