Not sure what powder to go with

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tranders said:
Unless you ride a horse or mule into the rendezvous,nobody is 100% traditional.

I prefer Goex or Swiss,but have no problems using Pyrodex.
I know. I hear that all the time. You can be as traditional as possible and easily done for the shooting.

If I could get away with riding a horse instead of driving my Jeep i'd do it. It's not practical. Some compromises need to be made. Like talking to you on a computer.

OldMtnMan said:
I know. I hear that all the time. You can be as traditional as possible and easily done for the shooting.

If I could get away with riding a horse instead of driving my Jeep i'd do it. It's not practical. Some compromises need to be made. Like talking to you on a computer.
 Well as long as its a period correct computer with a distressed leather cover and elephant ivory keypad its OK. :thumbs up:

I would like to say I have shot a ton of Pyrodex but I have really only shot about 3 pounds of it. And it worked fine. If it was all I could get then thats what I would use and wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I like traditional BP but I am not a true traditionalist shooter. I don't like inlines and prefer round balls but you will never find me in the woods in an 18th century suit of clothes. I don't have any. I like the spirit of what went before. If I belonged to a BP club I might be a little more particular about accuracy.

I do load and shoot from a leather pouch. I use an inline capper. I have a deer antler short starter I made many years ago. But thats about as far as I have went. What concerns me is what works and what will put a ball in a deer or through the bullseye at 75 yards.

I'm not into it like Jon is. I was once but not anymore. I will only use real BP in a sidelock but i'm not beyond using a different weapon. Even inlines. 30-30 Win 94 or Marlin, crossbow, Rem 700 in .270. I've used and would still use any one of them.

What never changes and hasn't in over 60 years is how I hunt. Still hunting with no tricks like calling, long shot, tree stands, bait, dogs, etc. If I can't fool the game by sneaking up on it. It gets a free pass.

No bias for what others do. This is just my rules for me.

well the old man is almost sighted in! Rain ran us off the range but a few more shots and he will be set and ready to go.

That Pyrodex... 

Go out to the range. Find a nice stump. Dig a hole next to the stump. put all the Pyrodex into it. Set a long fuse. Run away and hide. Boom. No more crappy Pyrodex to foul your rifles with. The people rejoice. Then you use the black powder and never buy that horrid P-crap again. The end.

PS. My ex-girlfriends do not buy me black powder. How does that work?

Back