Notes from hunting this weekend...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Note 1:
Deer were harder to come by this year. Having corn in much later than usual allowed the deer remain out in the open. Recent snow will hopefully convince them otherwise.

Note 2:
BH 209 may or may not work in a Knight Wolverine with FPJ shooting 200 gr shockwaves and blue MMP sabot with Fed 209A primers. All guns were in and out of vehicle and stored in an unheated garage that remained above freezing at night. Loaded Wolverine on Thursday pm, hunt with it on Friday, Saturday and Sunday night. Failed to fire Sunday pm. I didn't fire it, but the guy who used it described it as sounding like a primer firing but still smoked! I'm guessing it shot the bullet out a few feet and thats it. Bullet was seated hard, but the sabot/bullet combination was not extremely tight... but they shoot so good. So... will be switching back to T7 FFF in this gun which will basically be a 2nd ML for someone during late muzzy.

Note 3: When you've worked hard on something and finally get it to shoot well something will happen. This happened with my Savage but that's another story. I knew I should have switched the scope rings...

Note 4: NEVER PUT A FIRED PRIMER BACK INTO YOUR POCKET! It will be put into a gun and then the gun won't fire! This happened with my Omega. Cocked hammer, pulled trigger... click, I did this twice, then grabbed my shotgun and tallied the doe only 30 yards away. Wish I could have tried out the SST's on a shoulder shot. Oh well. After shooting her with the shotgun, I opened the breach and inspected the primer. It was already fired... what the... :idea: That fired primer was put back into my pocket during an earlier range session. Duh! :oops:

As a side note lows in the lower 20's and highs in the low 30's all three days we hunted. Fired off Omega and Disc Extreme last night using UNFIRED primers. Two bangs.

I had the same issue as in Note 2 in my DISC. The bullet exited the barrel, but not by much. I am switching from the Harvester .50/.40 CrushRibs to the .50/.40 MMPs. The CrushRibs performed excellent at the range in cold weather, but the gun and components were stored inside until at the range. Being loaded for 5 days in tempertures from 20F to 30F it did not perform like it did at the range. In the future, I will test all loads with everything cold to hopefully identify the problem early on.

jsteurrys said:
I had the same issue as in Note 2 in my DISC. The bullet exited the barrel, but not by much. I am switching from the Harvester .50/.40 CrushRibs to the .50/.40 MMPs. The CrushRibs performed excellent at the range in cold weather, but the gun and components were stored inside until at the range. Being loaded for 5 days in tempertures from 20F to 30F it did not perform like it did at the range. In the future, I will test all loads with everything cold to hopefully identify the problem early on.

Do you think it's possible that the FPJs aren't sealing well enough when cold for BH209?

mparks,

No. The base of the sabot did not flare at all therefore it did not create a seal. There was no hangfire and all the powder burned. I am going to try the NFPJ Breechplug at my next range session. I want less fouling in the Receiver area as it takes a while to clean all the hard carbon deposits.

Latest posts

Back