nova scotia Canada now has primative season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddycat

Reaction score
I live in Nova Scotia Canada. This is second year of muzzle loader season. I picked up a traditions xlt pursuit, less than 250.00 mail order. I picked up their starter kit for 60.00. primers/triple 7 and assortment of sabots for about 1oo.oo I'm pretty happy with start up so far. I have poured over the internet for assistance. This is the best forum that I've found so far, hope to contribute when I get some practice, and put some meat in the freezer. Till then I'll be on here for more tips

welcome to the forum. You have a good rifle from all I have read about them.

:)

Glad you could join the group :!: Glad to have you with us :yeah:

Ray............ :wink:

Welcome... Nice to see someone here from the province of my birth. Where are you hunting? Up in the valley?

Welcome! You absolutely found the right place. Don't be shy with questions, there's an amazing amount of knowledgeable folks on this board that are willing to help.

thanks for the replies. I hunt in the Pugwash, Springhill Oxford areas. I prefer to hunt on private property with permission of course. I was out to 2 local ranges last weekend, still too much snow, too soft this weekend

Ive made a few mistakes so far thought I was getting 100 209 primers, ordered 1000, looks like ill be putting primers on the blanket at the shoots. I ordered a starter kit, the t handle broke first patch I tried to put through it. I will buy a QUALITY range rod

I intend to burn up some triple seven pellets, and be fully hooked by next weekend

Sounds like the addiction has taken hold! Next thing you will be doing is frequenting the various local museums and wondering how the flintlocks behind the glass would do on a hunt or at the range! :)

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

have used 10 777 pellets and 3 different saboted rounds. wet patched dry patched between each shot. in the process of seasoning the barrel.
purchased white shots pellets today, a fourth different sabot round. have a line on balls and patches, but I do not have a problem :yeah:

muddycat said:
have used 10 777 pellets and 3 different saboted rounds. wet patched dry patched between each shot. in the process of seasoning the barrel.
purchased white shots pellets today, a fourth different sabot round. have a line on balls and patches, but I do not have a problem :yeah:

Say Whut! :shock: I hope that is a typo, Or you did not use them all at one time???

guess I should clarify 7 shots total 10 pellets used in total, 4 shots with single pellet 3 with 2 pellets. I was using iron sights and just a rolled scarf for a rest.
a question though, when I used 2 pellets instead of shots coming up higher from the bigger charge, they seem to have stayed at same elevation, but went 2.5 inches to the right :wall: . Again I wasn't bench rested, but that can't be normal?

muddycat said:
guess I should clarify 7 shots total 10 pellets used in total, 4 shots with single pellet 3 with 2 pellets. I was using iron sights and just a rolled scarf for a rest.
a question though, when I used 2 pellets instead of shots coming up higher from the bigger charge, they seem to have stayed at same elevation, but went 2.5 inches to the right :wall: . Again I wasn't bench rested, but that can't be normal?

That makes more since, figured it was a typo. :D

If you were just using one pellet that is a pretty light charge for a Sabot round. I have seen some of them shoot a bit off in windage (or both windage and elevation) till the charge is increased. Going from one pellet to 2 you double the charge so a change in the barrels harmonics may cause that. Did it group ok just to the right? Did you notice if the sabot had dropped on the ground in about the same spot as the higher charge? Keep in mind that one 50 grain pellet is a lighter charge than 50grains of loose powder.

thank you shawn t I took your advice. I use 2 pellets for each shot, I"ve got it sighted in, I had bought some cast 44 cal and sabot, out of 5 shots at 50 yards I missed the target 3 keyholed and gave a 2 foot group on bullseye keyholed as well. the sabots were shredded to pieces.
all the prepackaged bullets work really well. looking forward to third trip to range thanks again for the help

muddycat said:
thank you shawn t I took your advice. I use 2 pellets for each shot, I"ve got it sighted in, I had bought some cast 44 cal and sabot, out of 5 shots at 50 yards I missed the target 3 keyholed and gave a 2 foot group on bullseye keyholed as well. the sabots were shredded to pieces.
all the prepackaged bullets work really well. looking forward to third trip to range thanks again for the help

What Sabot did you use with the cast bullets and what weight were the bullets? IF the bullet did not fit the sabot good that might cause the keyholes. I suppose if they were not cast great that could do it too., I have not shot any cast bullets that have the lube rings on them and would prefer the smooth sided ones. Knight sells a very good smooth sided bullet that is all lead. I had some Remington Solid Copper .44cal bullets keyhole once. I think that the bullet was way too long for the sabot in that case, the bullet seemed almost double the sabot length.

What prepacked bullets are were you shooting? Can you get the Hornady XTP pistol bullets up your way? If it were me I would try to find the .452 (45cal) XTP in 300 grain and get some Sabots, such as the Harvester short black and even some MMP HPH12, possibly the Harvester crushribs if that bore is on the tight side. I like the Speer deep Curls but the Hornady XTP may be a tad easier to find at the moment. I also like the 300gn bullets for Black Bear, if you would choose to go for them in your neck of the woods. :wink:

Latest posts

Back