NULA photos.................finally!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scienceguy

Reaction score
Here's my NULA. I have been extremely busy in my classroom with the final month of school, but I finally found the time between school and umpiring to finally mount my scope and take some photos. The scope is a 3 X 9 Zeiss Conquest. The rifle weighs exactly 7 3/8 pounds as pictured. I replaced the ramrod with an aluminum one with a spinjag attached. I hope to get out this weekend and sight the gun in and do some load testing. I have my powder vials all weighed out (42 and 44 grains of 4759), and 250 Hornady Bonded, 250 and 275 Parkers ready to go. I still can't believe the gun was delivered in less than 4 months. The photos below do not do the actual gun justice. The color scheme closely matches turning oak leaves in the Fall, shades of brown, gray, and tan. The lighter colors that appear to be whitish in the photos, are actually the same shade of tan as dried oak leaves. I am happy how things turned out, and if the gun shoots half as well as it looks and balances, I will be more than thrilled. Don't drool too much on your keyboards! LOL!

NULA003.jpg

NULA002.jpg

NULA001.jpg

NULA006.jpg

First class set-up!! There will be lots of us waiting for your reports.
BR's - Cob

That's one AWESOME shooting gun!

REALLY...I would use the 275gr Ballistic Extreme and some 4759 and forget everything else... SERIOUSLY!

2006rangepics%20321.jpg

Very nice looking gun, congratulations! Can't wait to see the 3 shot, one hole groups to follow.

big6x6 said:
That's one AWESOME shooting gun!

REALLY...I would use the 275gr Ballistic Extreme and some 4759 and forget everything else... SERIOUSLY!

2006rangepics%20321.jpg

6X6 awsome group, what kind of velocity do you get with that load? What is the NULA's barrel length?

Beautiful gun!!! Awesome!

Here is a 4 shot group @ 150yds with 275 Parker/Supplied MMP Sabot and 42gr of 4759...

IMG_1224.jpg

Darn flier! :cry:

Scienceguy, youre makin me drool. Great lookin hunting rig.

I was going to go the Zeiss route(on my yet to be recvd. NULA) but opted for a new type Nikon Monarch scope instead. I hope I am happy with that decision.

Corvair,
I found a really good price on the Zeiss. Everybody recommends them as being one of the more durable, recoil resistant scopes on the market, just the ticket for this NULA. It most definitely is the brightest scope I've owned, brighter than my Leupold VX III, Bushnell 4200, Nikon Monarch, or my Weaver World Class. Yes, my wife says I have too many rifles. Is that really possible?

Very nice !!! Melvin called me today to get my length of pull. He said they just finished the action, and that he will be done with it within the next 2-3 weeks. I am left handed so that will take some getting used to. All my other guns have always been for a righty. Well, cept for my pump's and auto's.

I forgot to tell you in my earlier post...

GREAT LOOKING COMBO! Love the paint!

Beautiful rifle! 8) Those groups are amazing, especially out at 150yrds.

All things said and done, I wish I had gone the NULA route before sinking a pile of cash into my smokeless Savage rifles. I did sell one to partially fund this NULA though. Don't get me wrong, I like the Savage rifle, but it is heavy, bulky, and has some features that many guys, including me, have had modified. The cost of modifying one of my Savages makes the price of this NULA seem reasonable. I don't want to offend anybody, but having owned both, the NULA and the Savage are two different guns altogether. Arguing which is better is a waste of time. It is nice to have a choice to fit everyone's needs and budget. I'll be the first to admit, if it weren't for other Savage owners helping me along the way as I first got into shooting smokeless, I never would have discovered the NULA in the first place.

scienceguy said:
All things said and done, I wish I had gone the NULA route before sinking a pile of cash into my smokeless Savage rifles. I did sell one to partially fund this NULA though. Don't get me wrong, I like the Savage rifle, but it is heavy, bulky, and has some features that many guys, including me, have had modified. The cost of modifying one of my Savages makes the price of this NULA seem reasonable. I don't want to offend anybody, but having owned both, the NULA and the Savage are two different guns altogether. Arguing which is better is a waste of time. It is nice to have a choice to fit everyone's needs and budget. I'll be the first to admit, if it weren't for other Savage owners helping me along the way as I first got into shooting smokeless, I never would have discovered the NULA in the first place.
I've never owned a NULA, but would love too!! I only hear good reports. On the other hand, I have owned 3 Savages. The bores on all three were rough. On my first one, a blued version, the barrel was horribly rough. I should have sent it in for re barrelling, but a forum member from another board donated a stainless barrel that he had fire lapped due to extreme roughness, and it shoot good with upper limit loads.
But if rough barrels is not an issue with the NULA, then that, in and of itself, would make me an instant convert. Congrats on a great smokeless rifle!!!

But if rough barrels is not an issue with the NULA, then that, in and of itself, would make me an instant convert. Congrats on a great smokeless rifle!!!

Well that IS the primary advantage to a NULA..one gets a Douglas custom barrel. Butter smooth too! :wink:

Back