Ugly as Hell!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swamp

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
But I brought it home anyway! ;)

Went to a gun show Saturday just to go as I haven't been in a long time. So after strolling thru about half of the show, I come across a dealer who had a Knight D.I.S.C. 50 cal sitting on his table. No scope or rings, but did have the bases. I thought to myself "Who on earth would do that to a rifle?". Ok let me explain. Whomever owned this rifle before, spray painted he ENTIRE rifle while assembled, even the ramrod. Now, certain varmint hunters or snipers will paint their rifles with a good or decent camo pattern. This Knight had no camo pattern to it, and was first sprayed black, then with a tan and a green spray can, the owner just made sweeping passes to "CAMO" the rifle. It was AWEFUL looking. I picked it up and looked it over, cringing as I did! I looked down the bore with my bore light and it looked ok, but there was a lot of fuzz from slipping in and out of a soft case. The dealer had it marked $279. I put it back down just as the guy came over and asked me if I was interested in it? I said no not really. He then says "I'd go $250 for it?". I said no but thanks. as I started walking away, he said how about $200? I still said naa I'm good. As I turned he yelled out a price and I stopped, turned and went back and said ok, you had me at hello! :p I could tell he wanted it GONE! So I brought it home. This rifle is SS, and has the synthetic thumbhole stock. After running a patch down the bore, its absolutely PERFECT! So hiding underneath all this Sh---y paint, is a PERFECT rifle. I didn't take any photos of it before I started the disassembly of it, and removing the paint!

I will post part 2 of this rifle finished in a few days. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Swamp,

What are you using to remove the paint from the barrel and stock? Same stuff for both?

Thanks
John
For the stainless barrel I used 0000 steel wool and acetone, took it right off! The rest of the metal parts and the stock I used a rag(s) and old toothbrushes with acetone. Now, I'm painting my stock so using the acetone was ok to do. The paint on this rifle had big heavy runs in it, so I had to get aggressive in areas.

But it cleaned up perfectly, but like a said I'm doing a custom paint job on the stock so it didn't really matter what it looked like after I cleaned the paint off of it.

Last edited:
Be careful how you judge a rifle. Most of my CF rifles have a coat of paint or multiple coats to prevent glare. Not always real pretty but effective. I learned this eons ago watching hunters with shiny guns get out of their vehicles and man could you see them coming. For miles and I do not exaggerate. I repositioned on many occasions to have them drive deer to me. My wooden cap and balls I like pretty. My inline MZs are good to go as purchased in black or camo. But my CFs all have an ugly coat of paint. I like to hunt high and often end up in the sun. Cant have a shiny gun.

Ive killed a pile of critters with ugly guns. I make no apology for the ugly guns I shoot. They all go their job better than most. Even though your new gun is ugly it is a diamond in the rough. But still a diamond.

Its likely the previous owner learned a hard lesson when he was detected by deer with the SS gun. He did what was needed to prevent that from happening again. My kinda guy.

Thanks for the reply Swamp and Ninering.
I like the soda ash idea but no way to use it. I don't have a sandblaster. Glad the acetone worked out. Wonder how it would have worked on a blued barrel.

Thanks for the reply Swamp and Ninering.
I like the soda ash idea but no way to use it. I don't have a sandblaster. Glad the acetone worked out. Wonder how it would have worked on a blued barrel.
You can use acetone on a blued barrel but NOT with 0000 steel wool, as that would remove the bluing. Just use a rag and wear some type of protective glove to protect your hands. Make darn sure you oil up the barrel after doing this as you are removing ALL oils from the barrel wherever it came into contact with the acetone.

Last edited:
This title made me recall a time many years ago when I bought a H&R Handi Rifle in .223 with a bull barrel. Talk about ugly! The wood was overly proud - about 1/4" all around the receiver. the case hardened receiver was decent but the barrel looked like it was finished on the lathe with a mill bastard file. So my machining swirls on it!
Well I mounted a 4-16X scope on it and took it out to the local woods with some loads I just threw together. That ugly gun was a true to life tack driver. I later moved to Florida for a while and I took it too a range while I was living there. As I walked in the range officer had to check my rifle and I saw him sort of smirk when he handed it back to me.
After the first volley of shots from me and the other shooters he came walking down the line being sure all guns were safe. When he came to me he asked how I was shooting. I told him to take a look. He looked in my spotting scope at the ragged hole in the target's bulls eye and asked how many shots in that group. When I told him about 10 he couldn't believe it.
So I guess its true - you can't judge a book by its cover.

Back