O-ring in smokeless 209 plug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlink

Supporter
Supporting member
Reaction score
After taking the weekend range session I took the gun down (700ml) and cleaned it. I got curious to see if I had any crush to the Fed209A primers after the cleaning session. After testing 3/4 primers there seems to be no crush. In the back of my head I am always concerned with blowback being a left handed shooting. If I remember right I am getting a crush fit with my other 700ml and Fed209 primers. The O-rings I've come across searching the site seem cheap enough, but wanted to make sure their was no negative effect of using one. Fed209s are all I've ever shot in all my 700mls converted and unconverted. I am using Arrowhead 209 bolt nose kit and plugs. TIA.

Are you separating your Fed 209A primers by Length? Any ones shorter than .297” go into boxes marked “Shotshells Only”.

I might need to do that, I got 5 boxes before the Vid hit, the ones I measured this morning were a .296-7, seemed "short" but hadn't read much on it in awhile. they will got well into my 209 training pistol.

I have found that the SS Bolt Retention Screws available to be too small in OD, too short in length, and too soft of a material. I make my own now custom fit for each gun. I prefer a proper headspaced breechplug to using metal shims and "o"-rings.

What does the primer pocket on the ASG breechplug look like? Does the primer seal on the OD or face? Mine all seal on the face of the primer.

I use only Federal 209A primers sorted by length in 0.001" increments.

Last edited:
I use an O-ring in all 3 of my converted 700ML's with ASG 209 breech plugs. I don't have a lathe to custom fit each barrel's headspace (maybe someday), so I use the O-ring. It works well enough. The ring lasts approx. 15-20 shots. Usually the ring stays put when I extract a spent primer but every now and then it will come out.

I tried orings on my Traditions Tracker 209 inline. They seemed to increase blowback, and reloading was complicated by it. I was also worried the primer might not have been retained securely.

After taking the weekend range session I took the gun down (700ml) and cleaned it. I got curious to see if I had any crush to the Fed209A primers after the cleaning session. After testing 3/4 primers there seems to be no crush. In the back of my head I am always concerned with blowback being a left handed shooting. If I remember right I am getting a crush fit with my other 700ml and Fed209 primers. The O-rings I've come across searching the site seem cheap enough, but wanted to make sure their was no negative effect of using one. Fed209s are all I've ever shot in all my 700mls converted and unconverted. I am using Arrowhead 209 bolt nose kit and plugs. TIA.

You can buy some shim-stock of various thin thicknesses and make a washer to go between the barrel and the breech plug.

Then you can make a different washer if you change brands of primers.

Put plenty of Anti seize compound on the breech plug and the washer.

You can also use Silicone caulking if you need a better seal, but you will need to wait a day to let the Silicone cure.

Back