Old vs New

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStanley

Reaction score
Went out with my hunting buddies this weekend while they sighted in their various high power cannons; 7mm, 300 WinMag's, .308's etc. Target was at 100 yds and like many hunters they only shoot a couple of shells per year, just prior to gun season to check their scopes. They all successfully got their guns ready, some groups better than others. Then it was my turn. I've been enjoying my first flinter this year, a .50 cal Lyman GPR that I got in trade from 1874sharpshooter and have it sighted in 1" high at 50 yds. with 90 gr. 3f bp, homecast PRB. Until this weekend, that is the farthest I have shot it. It was a gusty day in KY on Saturday so I took aim at a fresh 12" shoot-n-C target aiming 6" high and about 2" left for windage, shooting from the same table/rest the others were using. Boom! While the smoke was clearing I turned around to look at my buddies who were all skeptically watching through their scopes to see if I could even hit the target board with my PRB. The looks on their faces made me really smile inside! "Where did it hit?" I asked. "Dang - it's just an inch or two dead right of the bull" was the response. To make sure that it wasn't a fluke, I swabbed the barrel with a patch just dampened with MAP cleaner and loaded another round. Same POA: Boom! Turn and look. Same question. "Dang - it's just and inch left and low of the bull". Now, I'm giving credit to the rifle more than myself, but I gotta say, that made me feel pretty darn good to see their responses. They never saw anyone shoot a flintlock or PRB for that matter. For one last shot I let one fly offhand that hit about 10" dead right of the bull. Not pretty but still probably a dead deer. It goes without saying that I'm really pleased with this rifle (thanks Chet!) and am getting more and more addicted to shooting flinters.

I have that same rifle and it is a great shooter. Its always nice to see the faces of those who doubt the black powder rifles when they actually see them preform. As for flinters, after I got my first one and taught myself how to shoot it, I am hooked. If all I kept were my flinters, I could sell off the other rifles in the collection and still be a happy man.

Offhand is tough and that's how I shoot all the time. If I'm within 4" of the bull at any time, I'm happy as a lark.
I'd imagine shooting flintlocks offhand is even more difficult. Sounds like you have a real shooter there.

I am the first to admit that off hand shooting is not my forte. I have discovered that the new flintlock with the swamped barrel is about my best friend for off hand shooting. The weight of it has a balance point right in front of the trigger guard almost. And if you balance it in your hand there, you can actually do some good shooting. But no were near what you are doing off hand. But that is one reason I always have a walking stick in the woods. Not only to help me walk but it acts as a good brace for if I am forced to make a shot.

I got one of those monopod type shooting sticks a few years ago as a gift. I really like using it in a blind sitting in a chair. I'll have to give it a whirl standing some day.

229519_3249127687513_410912109_n_zpsnxrjlo8p.jpg

This is my walking stick. I cut three alder staffs one year and with a draw knife peeled them. Then to dry them out, I put them in the rafters of the garage. Two years later got them down. One had a crack, so I went to this one that was perfect. Anyone that knows alder, when dried its as hard as steel. So I hand sanded it down and then using Birchwood Casey Tongue oil gave it five coats. I really appreciate it in the winter as we all know when you have three points of contact you are less likely to slip and fall on your you know what. But I found when I grip it, I can rest a rifle on my fist and use it as a stand.

Ahhh...this is the forum I knew you from. We talked on the TMA forum about flintlocks.

btw I'm not surprised your GPR shot good. I've never owned one that didn't. I expect the one I just got to be the same.

JStanley said:
Went out with my hunting buddies this weekend while they sighted in their various high power cannons; 7mm, 300 WinMag's, .308's etc. Target was at 100 yds and like many hunters they only shoot a couple of shells per year, just prior to gun season to check their scopes. They all successfully got their guns ready, some groups better than others. Then it was my turn. I've been enjoying my first flinter this year, a .50 cal Lyman GPR that I got in trade from 1874sharpshooter and have it sighted in 1" high at 50 yds. with 90 gr. 3f bp, homecast PRB. Until this weekend, that is the farthest I have shot it. It was a gusty day in KY on Saturday so I took aim at a fresh 12" shoot-n-C target aiming 6" high and about 2" left for windage, shooting from the same table/rest the others were using. Boom! While the smoke was clearing I turned around to look at my buddies who were all skeptically watching through their scopes to see if I could even hit the target board with my PRB. The looks on their faces made me really smile inside! "Where did it hit?" I asked. "Dang - it's just an inch or two dead right of the bull" was the response. To make sure that it wasn't a fluke, I swabbed the barrel with a patch just dampened with MAP cleaner and loaded another round. Same POA: Boom! Turn and look. Same question. "Dang - it's just and inch left and low of the bull". Now, I'm giving credit to the rifle more than myself, but I gotta say, that made me feel pretty darn good to see their responses. They never saw anyone shoot a flintlock or PRB for that matter. For one last shot I let one fly offhand that hit about 10" dead right of the bull. Not pretty but still probably a dead deer. It goes without saying that I'm really pleased with this rifle (thanks Chet!) and am getting more and more addicted to shooting flinters.
. Great shooting
I am glad you like it and it is working out for you .
I am partial to Lyman GPR's mostly because my very first muzzy was a GPR many moons ago .

Latest posts

Back