Omega 50 cal range/accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

970_lly

Reaction score
Hey everyone, been lurking for a long time but haven’t made many posts and still don’t own a muzzleloader. Most likely going to pickup a 50 cal t/c omega, and I am curious what kind of accuracy could be expected. I will be using BH209, open sights (Colorado), and am flexible on the bullet but I won’t be able to use a sabot. I am getting this rifle mainly for mule deer and would like to be able to hold 4-6” groups to about 200yds. If this somethings that’s attainable with some tinkering with loads? If not I will probably order a new .45 cal mountaineer unless I can find one on here. Thanks for any advice or opinions!

It's an ambitious goal to be able to take a deer with a muzzleloader at 200 yards. Not that it can't be done but it would take a lot of range time, experimenting with different loads. A good peep sight is a plus if you can't use a scope.
The Omega is a good rifle.

I definitely understand all that, more or less just curious if people would consider this rifle capable of it. Also, I never said I am wanting to take a deer at 200. I’ve shot muzzleloaders many times before out to 200-250yds and group in the range I described, but they were all .45 cal knights. Even if I am able to hold 4” or so to 150 yds I’d be happy.

If the gun is accurate at 200 and you can shoot accurately to 200 there is not much difference than a center fire rifle. But you have to be able to meet both of the above

I would say that most factory Omega's should be capable of that type of accuracy. I have two that are very accurate, however I am using scopes. I'm not sure "I" could shoot open sights accurately at that range, but I feel my guns could. Omega's are great rifles. So are Mountaineer's. Big difference in size/weigh though (std Mountaineer). Personally if I was buying a new Knight, it would be an UltraLite, vs the std Mountaineer.

I would say that most factory Omega's should be capable of that type of accuracy. I have two that are very accurate, however I am using scopes. I'm not sure "I" could shoot open sights accurately at that range, but I feel my guns could. Omega's are great rifles.
Totally agree. With some load development Omegas can do it. So does mine but with a scope on it.

Latest posts

Back