Omega accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyG

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old TC Omega 50. This spring, I replaced the breech plug to restore accuracy. I noticed that my accuracy suffers in the summer months also due to the hot barrel. What do you guys who live in warmer climates do to keep your accuracy in really hot weather? I just shot last night in 60 degree temps and put my last 3 shots in a cloverleaf that could be covered with a quarter. My Omega seems to prefer cooler temperatures but I like shooting in the summer too. Any thoughts?

there are a couple of things to try.First is the most obvious,waiting longer between shots.Second is a neat idea that works rather well.Go to your local hardware or home depot store and buy a 1/2" diameter hollow aluminum tube.Plug one end with epoxy or something similiar.After shooting,swab your barrel with an alcohol patch and then a dry one.Stick the aluminum tube down the barrel and with the barrel facing upward,fill the tube with the alcohol.The coldness of the alcohol and the heatsink of the aluminum really pulls the heat from the barrel.The only thing you might have to do is sand down the outside diameter of the tube a bit.My Omega's barrel is tight and I had to sand it down a little in order to slide down the barrel nicely.Hint: put the tube in a 1/2" drill motor and spin it while sanding.Hope this helps. --------------- Rich

In hot temps just slow down... after you shoot, swab the bore clean, set the rifle in the shade if any, walk down and check your target is possible, relax and think about the shot a little.. what did I do right, wrong, or perfect..

Some take two rifles to the range and they alternate between them giving the other longer to cool. I even saw a person once with a cooler filled with ice and wet towels. After he shot and swabbed, he'd ring out a towel and wrap the barrel with it to cool that barrel faster.. he shot real good, so did the towle make a difference.. he thought so.

Cayuga has it right. BRING MORE RIFLES! You can't have too many blackpowder rifles.

Also,stand the gun up in a rack,with the breech open. This gives the barrel a "smoke stack" effect. I've used this method on centerfire rifles alot P-Dog shooting. The hot air (in the barrel) will rise,drawing the cooler air in through the bottom of the chamber/barrel. Removing the breech plug,would also speed up the cooling process. Ron

Back