Omega Hammer Misfire

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

Reaction score
My hunting buddy called last night telling me about a Dangerous experience with his 50. Omega yesterday. He on his way to his treestand when he came upon six does and yearlings, one which was standing broadside at 20 yards. He set his stand and pack down, lifted his Omega and upon cocking his gun it never stayed back and went off! He could not get the hammer to stay cocked. The gun is only 2 years old and has a thubhole stock and stainless barrel. He went back to his truck and sprayed it with wd40 and finally fixed it.

I have had an Omega for 6 years and never had this problem.

Has anyone else had a similar experience and what/how was it resolved.

He might have had a chunk of something in there that kept the sear faces from catching. Does he clean the rifle often and thoroughly? He should take the rifle apart and use a good solvent to clean the WD out as well as thoroughly clean. Lube it with a good quality gun oil such as BreakFree CLP after cleaning.

WD40 is great stuff but should be used to clean then be thoroughly removed from internal parts.

He should be able to visually inspect the sear surfaces on the hammer and trigger assemblies. If there is anything wrong with those... see next sentence.

Having done a trigger job on an Omega several years back, I would only advise him to send the gun back to TC with a description of the problem.

I have had one for 7 years and never experienced any problem. I do clean the trigger mechanism 3 or 4 times a year when I am shooting it.

Latest posts

Back