Omega Ramrod

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nutmeg

Reaction score
Question - Got a spin jag for my Omega. Was planning on cutting a T/C lightweight universal ramrod so I could leave the spin jag attached while hunting and still have it short of the muzzle. As the universal lightweight does not have the taper in the end I am questioning if it would work / be retained properly in the Omega. Before I go cutting and end up with more spare parts in the gun room, has anyone done this before and did it work? If not would ordering a custom lenght G-Rod with the taper from Gun Inovations the way to go or am I making to much of a deal about speedy reloads and should just stick with the standard rod and carry the spin jag in my bag? New to hunting with a muzzleloader so looking to set it up right.

Nutmeg said:
Question - Got a spin jag for my Omega. Was planning on cutting a T/C lightweight universal ramrod so I could leave the spin jag attached while hunting and still have it short of the muzzle. As the universal lightweight does not have the taper in the end I am questioning if it would work / be retained properly in the Omega. Before I go cutting and end up with more spare parts in the gun room, has anyone done this before and did it work? If not would ordering a custom lenght G-Rod with the taper from Gun Inovations the way to go or am I making to much of a deal about speedy reloads and should just stick with the standard rod and carry the spin jag in my bag? New to hunting with a muzzleloader so looking to set it up right.

I do that to all of my ML's

MuzMittwithband.jpg

On my Omega I use a ramrod from a T/C encore which has a 26" barrel and with the spinjag attached,it sticks out about 3/8" past the barrel.

Just remember that your Omega doesnt have a full length rammer. You'll need to have the cut end drilled and tapped for an extension, otherwise you'll be too short for cleaning (or having to pull a ball or use a worm to retrieve a lost patch...) The cut rammer wouldn't be properly retained.You can put it in and spin it until the ball detent leaves a visable mark on the rammer and use a small 1/2 round file and file a groove over the mark. Having the jag stick out past the muzzle really isnt a problem and actually has the benifit of protecting the muzzle from being damaged. Stumble and bang it on a rock or something and the jag takes the hit, not the barrel. I know the QLA isn't rifled and the true crown is deeper in the barrel, but raise a burr on the muzzle and it WILL grab a sabot. When I had my Omega, I kept the factory rammer and had my jag ( a short jag) on it with my T handle in my pocket. If you dont want to carry a T handle, go with a T/C power rod and carry the spin jag in your pocket. The time needed to reload is a good thing really. You get a chance to calm down and replay the shot in you mind before retrieving your critter. Speedy reloads are nice to think about, but speed is not what muzzleloading is all about.

Confederate rifleman said:
.................................. The time needed to reload is a good thing really. You get a chance to calm down and replay the shot in you mind before retrieving your critter.........................
Yup.

Thanks, Have a range rod for cleaning use and loading at the range making this up for field hunting use. The INSERT IGNORE you put in place after you cut the rod that comes with the T/C universal rod is threaded so we are good. Not really sure I would trust the press fit on the universal for anything heavy duty. Carry a t-handle with a jag on it as a starter so if we must, we can. Always can keep the orginal in the truck.
Was concerned about retention. Did the rod this morning and it fits in good. I will see if I can get a mark to make the groove like suggested. I like that idea.
Time is good, was trying more to come up with a system that I can use with gloves on and not have to play with a bunch of screw together pieces that I can drop in the snow. Again I appreciate the input.

Latest posts

Back