omega X-7

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJJ

Reaction score
Looking for opinions on a 24"barrel X-7. Have an opportunity to purchase one for a good price. My concern is the short barrel. What can be expected? Will the accuracy suffer at a longer distance(150-200yds)? All input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TJJ said:
Looking for opinions on a 24"barrel X-7. Have an opportunity to purchase one for a good price. My concern is the short barrel. What can be expected? Will the accuracy suffer at a longer distance(150-200yds)? All input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Good ????

I really like the X7 but think i would rather have a 26-28'' barrel , but the short one does look cool .

I really like this one !!

http://www.tcarms.com/assets/specialMod ... e/8929.jpg

from here
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/specialModels.php

Spitpatch said:
If I remember correctly Big 6x6 had one....

Yeah I did! 8)

I wasn't crazy about it. It was a very picky muzzleloader. I like the full size Omega much better!

TJJ said:

I have one and love it for the type of hunting I do. My hunting is under 100 yards and in thick brush. The shorter, lighter barrel is a joy to carry all day.

My X7 is picky about it's load, currently 300 grain xtp mag 90 grains BH209 and the long two petal black sabot work well for me. Personally I would not choose the X7 it for the 150 to 200 yard range. From my understanding based on the same load your bullet velocity and energy will be lower in the X7 vs the standard omega due to barrel length.

I have one and would not trade it for a longer barrel. I have a Simmons 4X ProDiamond shotgun scope mounted on it and the size of the scope fits the little gun perfectly. Here it is.

SimmonsProDiamond4X.jpg
[/img]

My hunting load is a 300 grain Speer Gold Dot in a Harvester short black sabot over 105 grains of T7 FFG. That load gives me 1650+ fps and pretty good accuracy.

X7-031.jpg

Here's what the trajectory of that load looks like with a 125 yard zero.

300GrainGoldDot.jpg

Frankly, I don't understand the issue of a longer barrel to shoot longer distances. At best, are you going to pick up another 100 fps with two inches more barrel? If I can't kill a whitetail at 175 yards (the longest possible shot in my hunting area) with that load, another two inches of barrel isn't going to help.

I would say if you have a chance to get an X7 at a good price, GRAB IT.

Last week end I played around with mine at 50 yards with home cast bullets (Lee mold / cheap shooting) in Harvester long black sabots and a light load of T7. I only shot one group with a 340 grain bullet and one group with a 420 grain bullet. Both showed potential and might be real shooters with a little load experimentation. Here are the targets.

X7-037.jpg
X7-038.jpg

TJJ said:

xtp.jpg

This is a group i shot this morning with my X7 and the factory peep sight. I am sure i could hit a deer at 200 yd with this rifle, if i mounted a scope. This year i believe, the furthest it killed a deer was about 130 yard.

The rifle sat out in the truck over night, just like it would have if i went hunting this morning. It was 17* when we left town; the gun rode with me up to the hills about 15 mile. Shot the target from 76 yard with one elbow on the arm rest and the other on the steering wheel. The bullet was 300 grain .452 XTP; 105 grain BH209; crush rib sabot; Winchester shot gun primer. The breech plug was drilled out about 15 shots ago, and the barrel was cleaned maybe 40 shots ago.

ballistic.jpg

Estimating muzzle velocity around 1700 fps, this ballistic print out show the rise and drop would be just fine for a 200 yard shot, and the remaining energy at that range, would be enough to hurt a deer plenty.

Back