Omega z5 kit rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelheader323

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2nd omega z5, this one brand new in a blister pack, my other z5 was used and had roughly 100 shots put through it already(or so the seller said) I find it to be very accurate and consistent with bh209 and shockwave bullets and also shooting fusion bullets packaged with the harvester cr sabots, my question is do I need to break In This new rifle? I have read a few posts referring to "breaking in a barrel" this new rifle is going to be my long range gun, 50-200 yard shots as the other z5 I have already had is not scoped and does great with open sights for up to 75-100 yards, more or less I'll have a brush gun and a field gun, I just scoped the new one with a Nikon omega bdc scope, how should I go about breaking in this barrel? Light loads with heavy conicals maybe? I can get a number of Great Plains bullets, thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Omega z5 kit rifle

I personally do not think a barrel for sabots needs to be "Broken in". I think that applies more to Sabotless and to CF rifles. The Primary thing I would do is strip that rifle down and give it a VERY thorough scrubbing. I would also go a good round with some JB Bore Paste on a tight patch. You need to be sure you will get all of the packing grease/oil out before you fire the first round so it don't get cooked into the lands and grooves. Then use a good oil like Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner to prevent rust.

Re: Omega z5 kit rifle

As Shawn T says, clean it and shoot it.

I don't think you need the JB Bore Paste as TC does a nice job with rifling. ( But it can't hurt ). The Omega is a classic and very accurate. Matched with the Nikon you will have a fine shooter.

Thanks guys, I'll give this thing a good through cleaning and run some shot through it and see how it performs. I'm looking to try and work up a good load for 125+ yard shots as I have an area where I hunt where I have a good view o an old pipe line that deer constantly cross and they cross anywhere from 50 yards away to 200 yards away, having a longer shot will also help when my little nephew wants to tag along since he's not the most still and quiet kid in the blind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back