Open/Peep Sight Accuracy

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis1

Reaction score
This is the Sight Setup that i use, This is PRECISELY how i am able to shoot as tight as i do, There is NO WAY i could do this with Regular Buckhorn style Open sights

I use Tang Mounted Peep sights on all of my Muzzleloaders, And i use 17 Series Globe Front Sights with Fine BPCR inserts (Black Powder Cartridge Rifle) These are on all of my Guns as well

Here is 1 of my Front Globe sights. Again, i have these on EVERY Muzzleloader i own, This 1 in particular is a Lyman 17AHB, it is .404 high
mOCuUdKm.jpg

Here is 1 of My Tang Peep sights, This one in particular is a Williams FP Hawken with TK (Target Knobs) And Gib Elevator lock Screw
Y6Ji6ozl.jpg

And Here is 1 of my Lyman 57SML Tang Peeps, as you can see i am also using a Large 1” Target Eye Cup, the Peep Hole is .050
7Tp5acsl.jpg

These are the BPCR inserts that i use inside of my 17 Series Globes, These in particular are Made by Lee Shaver’s and are ultra fine
TTPNFGdl.jpg

I prefer my Circle BPCR inserts for Target/Bench shooting, and i prefer to shoot at Round Bullseye Targets. The key to putting this together is Matching the insert to the Round Bull Target, if you notice above i have a Row of Circle inserts that range in size, No matter what the Distance, or the Size of my aiming Bull, i can keep Switching out inserts in my Front Globe until i get the Perfect Match (Sight picture for me) What I am Personally looking for in a Sight picture is the Circle to be slightly larger than the Black aiming Bull, if my Target is White with a Black Aiming Bull this leaves a Light white “Halo” Around the edge of the Bull when i am lined up, This is how i find the Perfect insert for each specific Target. Distance does not matter

Here you can watch My Friend Dave Gullo (Owner of Buffalo Arms Co.) Dave is Shooting the White Buffalo at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton New Mexico, This Target is over 1,100 Yards!! Dave is using a BPCR Rifle here, But The EXACT same Aiming System that i just described Above, Dave obviously has a Long Range Soule Tang Peep here in order to get out this Far, he is using Circle inserts in his Adjustable Globe Front sight 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YRaRCCZjdTM" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

My number 1 goal in this stuff is accuracy, i do more Benchrest/Target shooting than i do anything else by Far. I enjoy seeing just how accurate my Rifles can be, and squeezing everything possible out of each and every Muzzleloader i own. 
        I do hunt with this same sight setup, BUT it definitely limits me in low light, But that is a Compromise that i am perfectly ok with, I shoot this Sight System so well that i have no problem with trading off Low light hunting for being able to reliably hit my Target EXACTLY where i want to at 200, even 300 yards, in my opinion 300 yards is to far to ethically shoot at Big Game Animals with any form of open/peep sights, Even Though i can make these shots over and over on Targets. As a hunter i owe it to the Game I pursue to make clean ethical Shots to the very best of my ability. But having the ability to make 300+ yard shots could be a BIG plus if i ever needed to make a recovery Shot

Another part of my Bench shooting setup that is just as important as my Gun itself is a ROCK SOLID rest, This is my Sinclair international Heavy Front Varmint Rest, This Front rest is made of Solid Cast and weighs 20-25 pounds, the Front leather bag is filled with Lead Shot. My Rear Bag is a Large Protektor with Rabbit ears, and is also filled with lead Shot, it weighs 18-20 pounds. The weakest link in my entire setup is my portable shooting Bench, But when i take the time and Dig holes out for the Legs i can get my Bench REALLY solid. With this Front rest i can make ultra fine adjustments. This setup is what they call “Free Recoiling” This is IMPORTANT, you want your rifle to Naturally Recoil 

IZpxFTml.jpg

Really nice post and read Idadoewis...lots of  8)  info. !
I enjoy the same basic bench setup...adjustable tripod and rabbit ears.  I ALWAYS find it interesting in how other bench shooters aim.  Your how-to "Halo" eclipse mind-set was sure interesting with the inserts.

I'm 62.  Do you know if peeps are difficult to use if one need reading glasses :?:

Nice, would like to do this with my tc high plains sporter but how do I determine if the lyman 57sml with fit the tang?

burkeboy said:
Nice, would like to do this with my tc high plains sporter but how do I determine if the lyman 57sml with fit the tang?
I am confident The Lyman 57sml will fit it fine. The TC High Plains Sporter looks nearly identical to the TC New Englander. Here is a Lyman 57sml i mounted on my TC New Englander. I have Peep sights on all of my Muzzleloaders 

uueeXCD.jpg

Thanks Idaho lewis, been told the high plains is almost identical to the new englander but could never find any specs on it.  My old eyes need much much help

burkeboy said:
Thanks Idaho lewis, been told the high plains is almost identical to the new englander but could never find any specs on it.  My old eyes need much much help
I hear ya!! These Peep sights are truly a lifesaver to me!! There is NO WAY i could shoot like i do with regular open sights!

Idaholewis said:
burkeboy said:
I hear ya!! These Peep sights are truly a lifesaver to me!! There is NO WAY i could shoot like i do with regular open sights!
My next hunting firearm will likely be a caplock, and at my age I don't  believe I could hunt without a peep.   
Are peeps affected much under low light conditions...dawn, dusk :?:

Marty said:
Idaholewis said:
burkeboy said:
My next hunting firearm will likely be a caplock, and at my age I don't  believe I could hunt without a peep.   
Are peeps affected much under low light conditions...dawn, dusk :?:
Marty, they definitely limit ya in low light! But not That bad if you use a Fiber optic Front Bead. That is the WORST part about this sight setup that i use, Especially with me using 17 Series Front Globes, They are a Dark Tunnel, and the Shaver’s inserts are Ultra Fine. I personally don’t recommend the Globes for Hunting, unless you fully understand the limitations you have with them. A fiber optic bead up front is the Way for most Hunters to go With a Peep sight in my opinion :ttups:

I shoot the 17 Globes, and Ultra fine BPCR inserts so well that I personally am willing to accept the Trade off, I am ok with giving up those Extra minutes at each end of the Day, For being able to put my Bullet Where i want it to go at 2, and 300 Yards.

I have peep sights on both my 45/70 and 45/120 have the Hadley adjustable on the 45/120 it has 8 different size holes.
120_sh10.jpg

mark1945 said:
I have peep sights on both my 45/70 and 45/120 have the Hadley adjustable on the 45/120 it has 8 different size holes.
Nice Looking Setup!! How far out have you Shot? What Brand is your Long Range Soule Tang Peep? What kind of Front sights are you using?

Sights are Pedersoli front has tunnel with replaceable blades and also a spirit level .Havent shot it real far yet only about 500 yards . Have the exact same set up on my 45/70 except doesnt have the adjustable orifice.

Back