open sights shooting further how

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alzheimershooter

Reaction score
i am using a remington uml (new version). i realize that is not as cool as a custom but it is what i have. in my state we cannot use scopes (nevada) so i am stuck with iron sights. i put on a williams adjustable peep for the rear and on the front, i put on a circular sight that i can put in different reticles. the only way i can see both sights and the target is to put one of those merit optical adjustment that sticks on my glasses. has anyone found a better way for open sights?

You don't need to see the rear peep,just the front sight and target. Your eye will automatically align the front in the center of the peep. Place the " bead " on your target and fire, pay no mind to the rear peep actually..

i guess i should have been more specific, even if i ignore the rear sight, i can't see the front sight and the target at the same time, i can if i use that adjustable aperature thing that suction cups onto my glasses but if hunting there is no time to do that usually, thought some other folks had found a better fix

Last edited:
i guess i should have been more specific, even if i ignore the rear sight, i can't see the front sight and the target at the same time, i can if i use that adjustable aperature thing that suction cups onto my glasses but if hunting there is no time to do that usually, thought some other folks had found a better fix
A good (hunting) ophthalmologist can help. If you wear contacts the fix is fairly easy. With glasses, you may have to sacrifice a little long distance with a special lens.

get a adjustable aperture peep sight, that way you can adjust it to where you can see it. I believe Merit makes one or at least they used to.

Called a Shutter disc. You could also check gun shows for aperture discs. Lots of orphans about. Get the smallest diameter that gives a slight magnifying effect.
My 22 inch Thunderhawk's front sight is a blur. Through the disc, its razor sharp as is the target.

.... i can't see the front sight and the target at the same time.........

Me, i cannot focus on the front sight. To help, i squint as hard as i can; this helps; it certainly isn't a cure. Installing the smallest available aperture kinda helps sharpen the front sight. At one time Merit made an adjustable aperture, that fit Williams sights, but it may be difficult to find. One can dial the aperture to a real small hole; this really sharpens the front sight; at least for me.

IMG_4147.JPG

IMG_4154.JPG

IMG_4152.JPG

This device works but I'm told that Merit is no more. I've made my own aperture by simply punching a hole in a small piece of electrical tape and affixing it to my eyeglasses. I punch the hole with a small nail set.....or you can buy them ready made from: http://www.eyepalusa.com/index.php

I forgot to say that I use them with regular open iron sights such as a post and rear notch.

Latest posts

Back