Still working on open sights

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
In my part of the state we have several early and extended antlerless deer seasons. Decided to make a go of it with open sights, been along time. I have an ongoing shoulder issue. Doing fine with everyday task, but my days of shooting big boomers are probably over. Decided if I am going to limit range with open sights and need to shoot lower power loads, I might as well use my .54 Knight MK85. I still have a lot of practice to do my groups weren't great.

Knight MK85 .54, Williams WGRS peep, factory front

20230721_100608.jpg
80 grains T7 FFG
MMP Purple Sabot
Speer .50 325 grain JHP
The 1st shot cut the bullseye. Immediate follow-up is the high left shot.

20230721_101636.jpg
90 grains T7 FFG
MMP Purple Sabot
Speer .50 325 grain JHP
The 1st shot cut the bullseye. Immediate follow-up is the high shot.

I will probably add some paint to the front sight. I was having difficulty picking it up on the dark background. The MMP's were tight, but doable. I've got use to the crushrib's. I'll probably stay with the 80 grain load, 90 was starting to get bothersome.

I used a T/C. Blk. Dia. .50 last year, 75 gr T7 2 F HB 50/45 with a 230 gr. .451 XTP. 30 yard high shoulder shot never got up. I have a Renegade in .54 that likes the red sabots with Fury 250 gr .451 bullets n 80 gr T7 2 F.

Nice job man! I’m probably
Going to hunt with irons this upcoming season. I bought a knight vision and I can’t bring my self to scope it just yet because the irons are just fun and I like how simple they are.

I also have an MK85 54 cal. Knight used to sell 325 grain with purple sabots, and I want to say the best accuracy was with 120 grains Pyrodex. But, yes, that kicked a bit. If you're looking for something that will kick less, they also sold 260 grain sabots that shot very well, and with a lot lighter charge. I want to say 90 grains of Pyrodex. And that will take a deer just fine. And your shoulder will thank you.

Back