Opening Day

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never had any luck on rainy days hunting. Just don't want to get my gun wet either, especially the wood laminate stocks. If I get caught out in the woods and it starts to rain I will take the CVA optima V2, with the nitride barrel and plastic stock, no worries.

Yesterday was pouring rain nearly all day, about an hour or so before dark it died off so I grabbed my .54 caplock took my 3 year old out to look for a hare or fox. Saw 8 hares on our little walk, I had a 30 yard shot at one but experienced my first misfire (not due to the recent rain, I had run a dry patch and pushed a heap of oil into the breech and forgot to run a couple of caps through it). Got another chance at 40 yards and shot one, didn't take a photo unfortunately. My son loved it and didn't mind the wet, I'll make the most of it while we're both still keen!

Hope your season is getting better over there @deermanok!

The season opens here 10/10. My choices are, either I can take a walk in the woods, or I can slip the slider open and shoot a deer 20 feet off the porch.

Last year I had a feller tell me he wanted to go hunting, wanted venison, but was too old and stove up to go chase them around. I invited him over, slid an easy chair up in front of the slider, and turned up the fire so he would be toasty. The rule was, no does with fawns. About two hours later I heard a shot and came up from where I was working in the basement. He said there were deer everywhere, but he had to watch until he was sure there was no fawn with the one he shot.

I am going to walk around as soon as it cools off and the rest of the leaves drop.

Back