Optics mail

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
My scope was/is on the UPS truck and about 2hr ago it happens....SNOW.....Delayed@!!!!!

Cameraland got it to me that fast and the weather makes me feel like............I hope these Athlon Precision Rings are nice enough. They are about half msrp in the package dealio.
YNlEmI8.jpg

Very nice, I've heard very good things about athlon lately keep us posted. Seems leupold has several competitors these days

These Athlon rings are Made in the USA by Warnes if my info is correct. They are not made from 7075 however like the Mountain Tech rings. They also fit both Weaver and picatinny which i dont like as much as picatinny only. The Contessa Light Weights are a nicer ring and cheaper but they are taller too.

Athlon has some scopes with specs i love such as the MIDAS TAC but there is no way im spending almost $600 on a Chinese made scope when i can buy a STAC for less or a Sightron SIII for $50 more.

Ok these are the rings and scope on a Murphy that is 1 slot longer than what he currently sells. The current Murphy would actually be fine too. its plenty long for this huge scope. The 4-20x50 STAC is about 14.8" long. You can see in the pics the main gripe i have. The turret caps are massive. The rings are 30mm lows (.868) and setting flat on a table there is plenty of room for the 50mm objective lens. Nothing is torqued down yet. I was just checking some things before i do the mounting. These rings are very beefy too but being 6061 you can do better unless you get them in this combo deal.

Oh and it turned out my cams lens cover thing was dirty. Didnt notice it until after the pics. The finish on this scope looks much better than the pics.
sIE9cik.jpg

hDJyqLt.jpg

NoEZ0l4.jpg

NfKiQiy.jpg

Last edited:
They also offer it with a set of cheaper Nikon rings for $299.99 They do have both reticles also but the MOA-2 is quite thin.

Got to give the scope a good inspection before mounting. Running it from 4 to 20x. Eye box is not as fussy as the 3-16 gets near max. Very clear glass but not remarkably better than a DiamondBack HP. A bit sharper on the edges and a bit brighter. Nice eye relief that stays fairly constant. Its not a huge change like some scopes including many Loopies. Still need to compare it in less light.

Overall impression......nothing matches it for the price and the turrets rival scopes costing quite a bit more. I got it mainly for recreation because the extra magnification sure is nice to have now. The included flip up caps are on the tight side. Pretty noticeable too when it got off the ice cold UPS truck. Still a welcome addition vs the cheapos you get with most scopes.

Using the Murphy base, Athlon low 30mm rings (.868") i got about 3 credit cards thickness worth of clearance with the fip up caps install. So about as low as i can get it.........If you want the lows in the package dealio you will need to call Doug at Cameraland.

Correction:
My new Murphy base is 2 slots larger than the current base offered by Murphy. Just eyeballing it the current rail would still be ok but not ideal. I like my front ring to be just front of center between the turrets and bell. So slightly closer to the obj bell. Rear ring close to center between ocular and the turret.

Last edited:
I can confirm, the Athlon rings are made by Warne. As GM54 said, they are not 7075.

As much of a Athlon fan as I am, I have to say, I like the Mountain Techs better than the Precision Rings. I have multiple Athlon scopes on rifles, but use none of their Precision rings. Not saying their bad, as their not. I just like others better when we start getting into that $100 price point.

I can confirm, the Athlon rings are made by Warne. As GM54 said, they are not 7075.

As much of a Athlon fan as I am, I have to say, I like the Mountain Techs better than the Precision Rings. I have multiple Athlon scopes on rifles, but use none of their Precision rings. Not saying their bad, as their not. I just like others better when we start getting into that $100 price point.
It was part of a package deal so i was way under $100 for them. More like $50 because the combo deal was $350 for scope and rings. If im paying $100 i would rather get TPS XTR rings like i got before. Or wait on a set of Seekins on sale for $100. Even Contessa Light Weights are nicer and they cost like $85. They are just taller than i like for the Murphy base.

These Contessa rings are really really nice for sub $100 rings.
https://www.eurooptic.com/Contessa-30mm-Light-Picatinny-90-Height-Rings-LPR02-A.aspx

Mounted nice and low. Nice job.
Thanks, those rings split the difference vs others. Most lows or super lows are .820 and .900 in 30mm. So it was a good fit. What i dont like the most is they are weaver AND picatinny so the cross bar is smaller than a picatinny slot. This causes the ring base to move further on the rail top surface. Since you move rings towards the front in the slot it creates a small overhang instead of being in full contact with the rail.

True picatinny rings on a picatinny base dont. Notice how my TPS rings rest on the top of the rail instead of the edge overhanging a slot.
0yPe5j7.jpg

plk3gxI.jpg

If you look close the "weaver" style do. The front edge of the ring is right over a slot in the rail. :(
USaNr9f.jpg

Got 2 of the sightrons sneezed and they were delivered What a deal for the money
Yeah i just dont think you can find a better total package at that price. You might find better lens quality but not if you want durability too. At least not at that price point. Good relief, plain duplex, good turrets and rugged but you trade off a little in optical quality. Reasonable weight unless you need it for a light weight rig. Add in that its a 5x zoom and you just wont find anything close.

Back