Optima Elite Max Load?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshall9779

Reaction score
I am a little confused on the max powder load for my new Optima Elite. The manual says for loose powder the max load is 100gr. It lists Magnum rifles but it only list Pellet charges and says up to 150 gr pellets. I thought roughly 120gr loose was equivelent to 150 gr pellets. I am also shooting Shocky's Gold for now using 200gr T/C Shockwaves and I was thinking I should be able to bump up to 130 gr loose. I doubt I will go that high, but I want to know what my limit is if I decide to push it. I really think I will be safe up to 120gr of Shockey's. I do plan on switching to BH 209. What would be the max load I should use with BH209.

I plan on switching to BH209 so I'm not going to go crazy buying different powders. I did call CVA and they told me 100gr loose is the max. I still think I can push the Shockey's more than that.

with American Pioneer, you could probably use 200 grains of that garbage and still have low FPS load than with 100gr pyrodex :lol:

Get some Pyrodex or triple 7.

100gr loose load is the limit due to anything more not burning. I used to shoot 120gr RS out of a few of my inlines and late evening shooting sessions, you could see all of the wasted powder.

The standard barrel is 26". The Elite barrel is 28". It should have a little more time to burn 110gr or so.

If you are going to ignore the manual & the factory recomendations, then wait until the range is empty.

Marshall, you have a very nice rifle... I think you will find a very accurate load some where between 80 and 100 grains of powder. I would try 80g of 777 or BH and a 270g Powerbelt Platinum,,, set around two inches high this will put you in the kill out to about 150. Which by the way is a pretty far poke with a smoke pole,,, don't buy into the "magnum" charge deal, it's really not necessary.

I read the manual again and they limit most of the rifles to 100 gr. loose but in the "magnum" catagory they list 150gr. pellets but leave out the loose powder. In another area they mention that "magnum" rifles (which the Optima Elite is) can burn up to 110gr. of loose powder efficiently. I think that pretty much says that 110gr. loose is OK in the Elite. I would suggest that you remember that all powders are not equal and the 110gr. loose is equivalent to real black and the substitutes must be adjusted accordingly. The bullet weight is another thing that should be considered and those maximum loads would be with the bullets under 300gr. in my opinion. In other words 110gr. of BH209 with a 348gr. bullet would be way over max load recommendation.

That is why I was thinking 110gr would be ok as well. I plan on staying on lighter end of the bullet spectrum at least starting out. I'm trying the 200 gr SW's and probably try the 250gr SW's after that. I don't think I will move to the 300gr bullets or higher.

Can't wiat to hit the range tomorrow morning and try this puppy out. I haven't been this excited to shoot in a long time.

May have to play around with different sabot sizes.

Big6x6 some months ago sent me a package containing an assortment of sabots and bullets to try in my omega and the omega and my optima all preferred the MMP-12 black sabot with every bullet he sent.

frontier gander

Are you sure those were HPH-12... I can not even imagine getting a 12 down either of my Omega's even with a .451 projectile.

The 12 will go down my White - it has a .504 bore - the older Omega's usually ran .502/3 and the new ones are .500/1

The 12's were originally designed to fit the older Knight bores...

Yes i still have some left over.

My omega has a .502" bore. Not sure what the Optima is but thats what they both loved.

Even the 240gr XTP's wanted the mmp-12 sabot.

They load solid on a clean bore, they took 2 hands but it wasnt anything horrible. After the first shot, they loaded really nice on the fouled bore.

frontier gander

.502 is exactly what I would have believed... those HPH12's you have are probably HPH-24's... You can not tell the difference in them unless you mic them with a projectile. They look exactly the same amd are not marked. The 12 will mic .506/7 while the 24 mic's to .503/4

chuck sent me both the mmp12 and mmp24. The 250gr parker hydracons loved the mmp-24, thats when i shot the dime size hole @ 100 yards with the omega.

The 275gr parker, 250gr barnes, 240gr xtps and 300gr xtps all needed the tight fitting mmp-12

Even my Optima didnt like the mmp24 for some reason. It shoots damn good with the mmp-12 and the 240gr xtp with 100gr RS.

frontier gander

The 250gr parker hydracons loved the mmp-24, thats when i shot the dime size hole @ 100 yards with the omega.

That is as it should be....

Even my Optima didnt like the mmp24 for some reason. It shoots damn good with the mmp-12 and the 240gr xtp with 100gr RS.

I remained surprised that you get 12's down the Optima I really thought they were a .502 bore also - they will not go down my Omega, Remington's, A&H's, GM LRH barrels, or the new Knight - well unless you lube them and hammer them down.

They load firm but after the barrel has been shot and fouled, they load a lot easier. The problem with the 24's was they loaded way to easily on a fouled barrel and accuracy really went down hill.

I believe my first outing with the 24s and the 240gr xtp was around 8" LOL. After the swab change, i put 2 out of 3 shots into the same hole @ 100. I am sure i can get all 3 of them into the same hole now that i have switched to the right primer.

Back