Optima pistol stocks on a CVA rifle ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourbore

Reaction score
Does any one know or could they look and see what models CVA rifles will fit the Optima pistol stocks. I am thining I might pickup a good deal on a used Wolf or some other, any other, CVA rifle and cut it down to a pistol. The 64,000 $ quesiton is how the fore arm and grip will fit.

Last edited:
Does and know or could they look and see what models CVA rifles will fit the Optima pistol stocks. I am thining I might pickup a good deal on a used Wolf or some other, any other, CVA rifle and cut it down to a pistol. The 64,000 $ quesiton is how the fore arm and grip will fit.
I know the optima fore end wont fit any rifle barrels. The mount screw lug is much closer to the receiver on the pistol barrel and the pistol fore end is shorter than the rifle fore end. I think the pistol grip will go on optimas and maybe wolfs.

OK, I would have to use the rifle fore end. Not so pretty. Perhaps not a deal breaker. One less piece to purchase.

I see a difference in the grip at the frame. I dont know if that shape is cut into the frame?

Attachments

• Optima_vs_Wolf.jpg
    Optima_vs_Wolf.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 7
Too bad. There seemed to be a lot of Wolfs on close out. Probably all gone by now. Thank you guys.

I did read there appaers to be a limited run of Optima pisols in the works. I will keep an eye out for that option.

I missed the link posted by GM54 to MB. I did find that and the pistol stocks. That was why I asked the question.

Last edited:
Too bad. There seemed to be a lot of Wolfs on close out. Probably all gone by now. Thank you guys.

I did read there appaers to be a limited run of Optima pisols in the works. I will keep an eye out for that option.

I missed the link posted by GM54 to MB. I did find that and the pistol stocks. That was why I asked the question.
I had looked into doing exactly what youre thinkin about. It wouls end up costing way more than just buying a pistol. Even an overpriced used one would be less $ i think.

I ran this idea past another corona bound old coot. He suggest I might buy the pistol and then get a buttstock. That would give me a gun that would double as a very short carbine and a scoped pistol. The wolfs are abundant and low cost. Unfortunately, wolf wont work. And that is too bad. CVA could have kept things more compatible.

I have both the Optima V2 rifle an pistol, never even thought of putting the pistol grip on the rifle...Maybe something I could try out now that there is plenty of time! Yard work is about done for now, except the weekly mowing.
I seriously doubt I would shoot the rifle that way if it did fit. I have enough trouble holding the pistol still as it is.

Yes, excellent - please try it out. Consider this, the butt stock on the pistol would be a very short carbine.
I sent an email to CVA to see what they say about this before I tear my guns down. I will try to look at them this evening to see if its possible.
Had to make a grocery run today, first time I have ever worn a mask in public, which is against the law here, but this virus has changed a lot of this thinking...

It would be a lot cheaper in the long run to buy a Wolf and lop the barrel off. Got the short barrel. Got the stock. Be sure to buy good ear plugs.

I really was thinking about an Optima pistol. Any combination of fringe benefits (stock combinations) are a plus. If the used Optima rifles were low cost, I might start with a rifle. I wish I could start with a a wolf. CVA in their wisdom has not retained stock mount compatibility. At end of they day, getting a pistol probably means buying an Optima pistol. That is when and if they become available again. Meanwhile, I am just asking what swaps out.

In the good old days gun stocks were made from wood. It is pretty hard to grind down and splice and reshape thin hollow plastic. Even getting a metal sling attach is a hassle on some of these guns!

I received a reply back from CVA stating "you can't use a rifle stock on our pistols". I compared them also, the pistol grip is more of a downward angle than the rifle.
Good thought, but won't work!

Last edited:
Talked to muzzle-loaders.com this week and they are expecting delivery later this month on their special order of Optima pistols. I ordered mine a couple of months back. Looking forward to figuring out what optics to use and some time on the range playing with loads. Not sure how long before our local range will be closed due to corona issues.

Latest posts

Back