Optima V2 pistol scope replacement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I hunted with this pistol and found I am having trouble with field/eye relief (Leupold 2x extended eye relief) .I am thinking for target the scope works but me wearing glasses and scope fogging up too in the woods maybe a red dot or something to elliminate all the above would make it easier to shoot the critter I"m tryng find in the fogged up scope . If anyone has a suggestion on what would work I"d like to hear about it ./Thanks Ed

I hunted with this pistol and found I am having trouble with field/eye relief (Leupold 2x extended eye relief) .I am thinking for target the scope works but me wearing glasses and scope fogging up too in the woods maybe a red dot or something to elliminate all the above would make it easier to shoot the critter I"m tryng find in the fogged up scope . If anyone has a suggestion on what would work I"d like to hear about it ./Thanks Ed

I wonder if a Sig Sauer Romeo 5 would Work with that Pistol? I was told about it by @jcnull2305, He knows that optic well. it sure gets good reviews

https://www.amazon.com/Sig-Sauer-SOR52001-Romeo5-Compact/dp/B01C95I8N4

There are a lot of directions you could go. I looked at JC's Romeo optic and its a nice piece. I tried two different red dot style optics on my Optima pistol, a tube type red dot [2.5 mil dot] and a reflex with a 4 mil dot, but went back to the Leapers 2 X 7 extended eye relief scope with a plex style crosshair. Bright , clear optics and rock solid. Recoil proof as far as I have determined....I shot a 350 grain sabot bullet over the 100 grain [volume]max load of 209 just to see what it was like. Maybe 8 times. Plenty to vacate the idea. The scope never came off zero.

I think a lot depends on what you can get accustomed to for an optic. I had issues with blurriness in the dots but the crosshairs stayed sharp so I've hung in there with the scope.

Hey Ed, I wrote a pretty long review on that particular optic in another thread. I hope it helps. I abuse those sights like red-headed step kids:

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/sig-sauer-romeo-5.36865/
I am looking to put this on my 50 cal CVA v2 Optima and it looks like your saying this might not work for what I
need .The Leupold has a small field ,I am definitely having issues adapting at least thats what todays deer was thinking (30 yds) and a miss ! I have to think I"m not the 1st having issues with pistol scopes but Tuesday is the end of deer season so I have some time .Thanks for all the advice /Ed

There a lot of newer pistol optics the don't obscure your view as much. I always thought of the Romeos as long gun optics for closer quarters. A lot of those new RMR style sights might be better suited for hunting situations.

I saw a Weaver 2x6x32mm, handgun scope on Natchez Shooters Supply. Good reviews, I think it was $ 149.00.
Thanks but my problem is field/eye relief and glasses ,(mine and the scope) fogging up in cold weather . So I"m going with a RMR style red dot as suggested and selling the Leupold with the quik detach rings /Thanks Ed

Hey Ed, Vortex makes a pretty tough Pistol sight in the RMR style called the Venom. I have one on a FN FNX-45T. It's pictured in the referenced thread. It's a pretty rugged sight and you won't have to take out a second mortgage to get one. The view on these are very good you'll just perceive a small outline around the target, but a full view all around. They're meant to be combat optics, so peripheral vision is maintained. The only drawback -and this isn't so much an issue in hunting, is that the projector for the dot isn't covered, so it can be blocked by debris which will need to be cleared.

https://vortexoptics.com/red-dots/vortex-venom-red-dot.html?vortex_reticle=942

Back