ordered a new gun .32 caliber Green Mountain any ideas?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HD Road King

Reaction score
After looking at that .32 caliber Green Mountain rifle on their website for the last 3 Months. I decided to order 1 yesterday, it is supposed to be here Wednesday. Does anyone have this or possibly used one? Just looking for some input from users. As of right now I was planning on using Swiss or Go-ex blackpowder in 3F. From what I have read on the HPmuzzleloader page it sounds like I will need to get some of the Lee dippers for measuring out the very small powder charge, it uses the .310 round balls. Is there a better way of measuring out a small charge, possibly a scale?

This rifle does not have iron sights and will need either a Red Dot or a scope. The gun will be used for small game and the range. Which type of scope would be the preferred type? I was looking on line at possibly a Tasco Pro Point or a 4-9X40 Mueller with the German #4 red dot or a Swift 2-7X40 standard scope.

Would there be a better choice of brand or model? I have also read some pretty good reviews on the Tasco Varmint 2.5-10x42. Although the useable range of this gun sounds like 75 yards would be really pushing it.

Mike

That .32 caliber is a nice looking rifle. I think that is going to be a great shooter. I think a nice short range clear scope would be the way to go. Something like a Nikon Pro Sport 2-7x32mm. Since you're not going to be doing snap shots, and the small ball will really not be effected at very long ranges. All you would need is a 150 yard scope. The Nikon would more then do that.

Another interesting rifle barrel on that page was the .50 caliber LRH with the 1-24 twist for conicals. I am going to call them on that one and see if it drops into the stock of a Renegade or Hawkins. I think with the traditional 6X scope that would be a lot of fun to shoot and hunt with.

Thanks Dave,
Now as soon as the check book recooperates :roll: I need to get the scope purchased. I will make a note in my notes on that scope model and start browsing for prices.

I was looking at that barrel with the scope also. That looks like a really nice set-up, that configuration should be a blast to shoot! I have decided that my next gun purchase will be a traditional ML, they look really fun. I was looking at a Tennesse(?SP) Poor Boy on Gunbroker the other day, I almost bought that one instead. I was afraid that the price was going to go back up on the Green Mountain so I grabbed it. I am not positive but for some reason I think it was $100.00 higher 3 Months ago. I was really surprised when I had to pay the sales tax for the order, it added to the ouch factor!

Would you suggest the Go-ex or Swiss 3F for this gun? Lemoyne suggested possibly the Shockey Gold for it, I was kind of thinking Black Powder for it. That is what I intend to use in the Knight but in a 2F.

Mike

Hope that barrel configuration will work for your gun!

Back