Ordered my Knight Ultra Lite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc22

Reaction score
Good morning Folks,

Spoke with Justin this morning and purchased my Knight Ultra Lite (Colorado Version), 50 Caliber with the Bare Primer Ignition System. That system is back ordered at this time so it may be a little longer than the 3 - 4 weeks.

Note: The Colorado Version comes with Williams Sights, which I will be using prior to scoping the rifle at closer distances in the event I cannot use an optic or the optic fails.

I also ordered the Murphy Precision Rail in Stainless with the bead blast finish. When this comes in I’ll take some measurements and determine what height mounts I need but plan on using Nightforce Xtreme Duty (steel) rings.

I also have the planned scope on order which is a Nightforce SHV 3-9x42 with the illuminated forceplex reticle. I don’t want to “dial” for distance on this muzzleloader and my focus will be determining max point blank range for hunting once I dial in an accurate load.

I have a Harris BRM-S Bipod with a KMW Podlock waiting to go on it as well as a Mountain Shooter Sling with HD Swivels.

While some of these things may add a little weight to a light rifle I‘m ok with that and hope to keep the setup under 10 lbs with the ability to “trim” weight if needed (remove optic and bipod). I prefer a bipod on all rifles as it provides a stable way to put the down versus leaning on stuff...

I’ll plan on updating this thread once the rifle comes in and before / after it goes out to @bestill who has been very patient answering questions for me. Jury is still out on which system I am going to have him do but its between the 1 piece, 2 piece and ASG 209 mod he does.

Thank you for everyone who has been helping me out along the way here.

Sportsmans had the bare primer bolt body in stock for about $85 shipped. If they can ship it faster in FPJ then that is another option. At the price of the SHV i would look at more scopes too. Its made in Japan and on par with other good Japanese made scopes. You can get a Loopie MarkV for about that price too and it weighs less.
https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-5hd-2-10x42mm-30mm-duplex-reticle-riflescope.html
While the SHV is a tough scope, i dont think you will find the glass itself is any better than other Japanese made scopes. The Zeiss Conquest V4 series i would bet are just as nice and have a great track record sofar. Even on hard kicking MLs. SWFA SS scopes are tougher than woodpecker lips and also super nice for the money. Sightron SIIIs are also Japanese made and you will have a hard time finding many bad reviews. They get great marks for glass, durability and tracking. Plus great CS if you would ever need it.

Last edited:
Congrats!!! You sure put in the time researching this, glad you were finally able to place the order!

The Murphy base may be too tall to use the open sights?

The Murphy base may be too tall to use the open sights?
You’re correct Sir but I plan on primarily using an optic but having open sights available as an option if I damage an optic in season.

Sportsmans DOES still list the bare primer bolt body in stock. $85 shipped.
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...neer-209-bare-primer-conversion-kit/p/1508871

Really appreciate the heads up! If I would have known ahead of time I may have been tempted but with Knight being so busy this time of year I don’t want to bug them with modifying the order and I plan on going to bestill’s in the long run.

Im also tracking on the scopes... I’ve had them all over the years, leupold, zeiss, Swarovski’s, etc. I also have a scope tracking tool as I’m pretty heavy into long range centerfire rifles. I just trust nightforce hands down. I know there are lemons with all but I play the odds more confidently with nightforce. The few times I’ve needed them a real person picked up the phone and next day had what I needed. I also have a line on purchasing them at a very competitive price that’s hard to say no to.

You wont be disappointed with the SHV but its not on the same level as their more expensive scopes. The Mark 5HD Firedot is nearly the same price and weighs around 6oz less. That is the main reason i mentioned it. A 22oz scope is a pig on that rifle. Its also the main reason i went with a Razor HD LH on my NULA. About a year or 2 ago they had the SHV on sale for about $700 or $800 IIRC. I just could not handle the weight or 3.5" of relief at that price point. Plus having to buy new rings for a 30mm tube on top of that.

I got my NULA in at 7.65lbs scoped with more or less the exact specs i wanted in a scope.

Last edited:
You wont be disappointed with the SHV but its not on the same level as their more expensive scopes. The Mark 5HD Firedot is nearly the same price and weighs around 6oz less. That is the main reason i mentioned it. A 22oz scope is a pig on that rifle. Its also the main reason i went with a Razor HD LH on my NULA. About a year or 2 ago they had the SHV on sale for about $700 or $800 IIRC. I just could not handle the weight or 3.5" of relief at that price point. Plus having to buy new rings for a 30mm tube on top of that.

I got my NULA in at 7.65lbs scoped with more or less the exact specs i wanted in a scope.
I’ll give it some thought as I’ve only owned their ATACR’s for scopes. Appreciate hearing the other thoughts of others versus wishing I had thought of that later.

For me it would boil down to a side by side comparison. I got a smoking good deal on that Razor so it was worth the risk and im quite happy with the glass. Turret clicks are not that "clicky" but i love the glass. I sight in and im basically done. Im not dialing up for long range work with that rifle.

I know Bestill thinks very highly of the Mark 5HD too. It would fit my needs virtually perfect also....Upper end....yeah NF is not going to be disappointing. They make a great product and stand behind it. No way i would give Vortex that kind of coin if NF has a comparable top shelf scope for close to the same price. Around a grand or less though there are several scopes worth considering.

You got me taking another look at Leupold. The biggest complaint I’ve had with them is “mushy” clicks. I hate that and it makes you guess how much you adjusted.

Luckily the 5HD is a scope you can probably look at locally to see what you think. Another one of the guys that shoots at Friendship likes the Sightron SIIIs for good glass and tracking.

The 2-10 has appealing specs but not illuminated. Will have to check it out in person like you said.

Hmm... I’ll have to see if I can check one out first. I think I’m going to do load development with my 4-16 ATACR but I’ve also got their ATACR 1-8 sitting on an AR that I don’t use much... maybe switch that over... would get new rings as this setup is kind of high.

Attachments

• 4FC58105-2F16-44B2-AC5E-A8CB9FAAD1AA.jpeg
    4FC58105-2F16-44B2-AC5E-A8CB9FAAD1AA.jpeg
    34 KB · Views: 7
Leupold takes it with weight and FOV @ 100 yards and has a wider zoom range. The Leupold would be the cheaper option for me. I’ve never owned a Nightforce SHV but feel confident with them... Leupold looks appealing and it is one of their “mid tier” scopes and I’ve been happy with their Spotter in both the military and hunting... the plot thickens...

Attachments

• 28786AA2-BD7B-4944-B5CE-FCB86ACC5536.jpeg
    28786AA2-BD7B-4944-B5CE-FCB86ACC5536.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 2
Really considering pulling this scope from the AR to put on the muzzle loader for the season and swap back in time for 3 gun...

Attachments

• 4A1D5682-E9FF-473F-9724-69697FA2BF7D.png
    4A1D5682-E9FF-473F-9724-69697FA2BF7D.png
    172.2 KB · Views: 1
Can that bare primer conversion be used to convert a western DE to 209?

Im pretty sure it can. A Knight Elite/DE/Ulite/Mountaineer/LRH bolt body is the same other than cosmetics. Size wise they are the same length. The one at Sportmans should have a jeweled bolt and knurled knob. Other than that its the same as a DISC Extreme.

The breech plug is too long for a Extreme but those are under $25 shipped from Lehigh. In theory you could shorten the Mountaineer plug on the powder side to fit if you have a lathe or something.

I love my moutaineer! I have a 50cal very accurate rifle! I have a vortex 3x9x40 on it. Thinking of going to a 4-12 on it soon. I got the bare 209 bolt as well. I clean the bolt face with a bronze wire brush on a drill. I take the bolt apart and clean completely once a year. made my own primer remover, the ones the company had at that time were for thier plastic jacket system. I just ground down a piece of spring steel to fit inside the bolt face and had a hole in it to fit over primer. If you like to target shoot like i do you will want to make a good one! That was the only drawback was removing spent 209 primers from the bolt. That problem is no more! Great rifle and i like it way more than the others i have had. Most accurate ml rifle with true magnum loads i have owned taken many deer with it.

Latest posts

Back