ox tail stew

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
if anybody here has ever eaten oxtail they will remember it is the best part of the beef. our local meat packing plant was bought by a couple from our church. i asked them if they could sell me some ox tail. they said they wouldnt sell it to me but give it to me. i got a bunch today for free and it is in the pot cooking. when it is cooks well i will add oinions, carrots, potatoes, garlic and a can of tomatoes along with a box of soup stock. it will be like wonderful on a plate. if you have a way of cooking oxtail that is good, please post it here, im open to try new things.

We grew up eating a lot down on the border. My two favorites were in stew and roasted. 

For our stew we roasted it in the oven till tender, then covered with beef broth and added the veggies. Ended up with more flavor in the meat that way.  Roasted we'd get it about 90% of done, just before you could start pulling it off the bone.  Then we'd start basting it with either an enchilada sauce or a salsa depending on our mood.  Keep baking until tender so the salsa/enchilada sauce formed kind of a crust.  Strip it off the bone and roll it hot into fresh homemade tortillas with queso fresca.

thanks, i find that oxtail meat is sweeter than beef on other parts of the beef. its ready to go for tomorrow. my friend will be over after our time at the gym and enjoying all he wants.

I liked ox tail because of the extra beefy flavor it gives to a soup or stew. You can't find it in any of the stores down here .. same with leg of lamb.
It doesn't matter any more that I can't find it 'cause I gave up eating it plus chops, and neck bones after they found out what caused mad cow disease. I bone out my deer when I butcher them too.

my friend,who came here from london, had a huge bowl of it after our am workout. he said it was the best he had ever eaten. i saved one bowl for me and he took the rest home. my wife and son wont eat it. i got the oxtails for nothing as they do sell them so they gave them to me. the meat cutters, man and wife, said i could have them any time. they cut up dozens of high plains cattle every week. im going in to them every couple of weeks and keep getting them.

Latest posts

Back