Patch lube

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobkat131

Reaction score
I have only used SPIT PATCH and would like a couple of suggestions for patch lube to experiment with thanks in advance

I will be using 3-5 lubes for both prb's n conicals. I will be testing all of them to see which if any give me the best lube n bang for the $ spent. Right now i am using the TOW's mink oil lube, crisco, white lithium grease. I am going to find my Bag balm, will also try my lard n coconut oil. Will try all straight n then with Beeswax

Neats Foot Oil, the kind you get at the feed store, do not use petroleum based.

Another one is 50% WD-40 and 50% Mobil 1.

I have only used SPIT PATCH and would like a couple of suggestions for patch lube to experiment with thanks in advance
The Ballistol / Water is probably the best. This is what competition shooters use. You must swab between shots.

You could also use, Beef Tallow, oils such as Canola, Safflower and Avocado as long as they are high oleic. or Crisco. The early 19th Century Mountain Men also used grease, like lard, tallow or bacon grease.

I use 7 parts water 1 part ballistol.soak the patches, Let dry and they are ready to go. Thats for patch round ball in my 54 .
I found many lubed patches are sticky in some way and want to hold onto the ball when it exists the barrel, which could cause an offset. The Ballistol /water doesn't do that.. In fact, you can barely notice anything on the patch.

Bumblin' Bear greased daisy-cut, pillow-ticking patch.
Summer or winter. Costs $8 for 100, which lasts me two years of shooting roundball.

A good patch lube is one that does not recommend cleanings between shots.

If your current patch lube leaves residue buildup on the walls of your bore - one that introduces significant increased palm-pressured ramroding of your next ball & patch, it's time to move to another product, or blend of products. It's also time to check the snow in front of that last shot, for powder residue / unburnt powder, resulting in using too much (to begin with).

I've spent the past few weeks reading tons of posts on traditional muzzleloaders here and I'm amazed on how many members here think we need 100gr of blackpowder to kill a deer.

Needless to say, some of that unburnt / powder residue has stayed inside your bore and made a sticky mess there, especially if that bore contains lubes that are meant for storage and not shot-to-shot swabbings.

At places like the shooting range, or even atop the highest ridge during the Civil War, your life depended on preparing that bore correctly and quickly, for that next shot.

Got 20 roundballs to shoot at that 50 yard target today? Use a thin application of either spit-only or a weak lube-combo that requires swabbing every 4-5-6 shots..... never a bore cleaning.... especially when using a sensible powder volume choice of around 70 grains FFF, which has served me well up-to 100 yards during deer hunting season.

Yes, FFF powders keep that bore a little cleaner than FF. It also aids in keeping drums and nipples cleaner longer and ensures better ignition when needed.

Just my two cents here and I sure love reading all the comments since I've returned to showing some interest in deer hunting again with a blackpowder gun.

Last edited:
Use a thin application of either spit-only or a weak lube-combo that requires swabbing every 4-5-6 shots..... never a bore cleaning.... especially when using a sensible powder volume choice of around 70 grains FFF, which has served me well up-to 100 yards during deer hunting season.
Target shooters use a mix of Ballistol & Water and allow the water to dry off their patches, but they swab after every shot.

The best patch lube for shooting without cleaning is a 50/50 (1:1) mix of Simiple Green & water. Try it. You'll like it...

Neats Foot Oil, the kind you get at the feed store, do not use petroleum based.

Another one is 50% WD-40 and 50% Mobil 1.
All of this wet material? Doesn't that make your powder wet and misfire, I guess not or you all wouldn't be saying it, I just don't understand. Especially if it sits in the rifle for awhile???

Ya'll way more sofisticated than my simple squirt of dish soap in a few ounces of plain water I've been using so many years. Maybe I'd win more matches if I upped my game with one of those cool sounding patch lubes...

Back