45 Cal REAL bullets advice.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Kentucky

Reaction score
So I have a CVA 45cal Kentucky rifle. I have been using .440 round balls with lubed patches and 50 to 70 grains of FFG with good results.
Just to try them out, I purchased some 250gn Lee R.E.A.L. bullets.
What would people recommend as a starting load of FFG? The RB's are around 140 grains, this is a much heavier slug and I was wondering where I should start.
Thanks.!

What is the twist rate of your barrel sir? I personally would start with 70 grains FFG depending on your twist rate. The slower the rate, I would think, the more powder you would need to stabilize your bullet.

Thankyou for that, I will use the cleaning rod trick and figure out my twist rate and get an accurate measurement, but from all the forums I have checked, general consensus seems to be that it is either a 1 in 48 or a 1 in 66 twist.

Yeah I was thinking that, I did find a place that sells the 200 grain moulds but I was only able to get the 250's already cast. I was hoping to try them before spending money on a mould, if they group like a slingshot, I've only wasted $15.

The trick to using REAL bullets in the slower twist rates is lighter bullet weight n lighter on the load charge. ,45 in a 1:66 should work well with 50-70 gr of 3 f.

Yeah I was thinking that, I did find a place that sells the 200 grain moulds but I was only able to get the 250's already cast. I was hoping to try them before spending money on a mould, if they group like a slingshot, I've only wasted $15.
R U wanting to try the 200 gr REAL's in a .45 cal ? If so i can send you 20-25 of them to try out. You can pm me your name n addy, soon as i get back to Burna, Ky on friday i can get them on out to you.

R U wanting to try the 200 gr REAL's in a .45 cal ? If so i can send you 20-25 of them to try out. You can pm me your name n addy, soon as i get back to Burna, Ky on friday i can get them on out to you.
Mate that is ridiculously generous of you and I really appreciate your offer. I am in Australia though and shipping would probably end up costing a small fortune. I wouldn't be comfortable imposing that upon you.
Thank you so much for your awesome offer though, bloody legend.!

Mate that is ridiculously generous of you and I really appreciate your offer. I am in Australia though and shipping would probably end up costing a small fortune. I wouldn't be comfortable imposing that upon you.
Your correct, i saw Ky. in your handle n assumed you lived in Ky.

Your correct, i saw Ky. in your handle n assumed you lived in Ky.
I use Kentucky because I have a CVA Kentucky rifle. It's a cool story about getting it. I never would have considered blackpowder if it wasn't for my daughter. She has a Savage Rascal .22 that we take to the local range, the rifle has a blue plastic stock and is tiny, so that combined with a 12yr old girl who is very safe with firearms (I am an ex Army instructor) is a bit of a novelty. There was a guy 2 lanes over who had a .50cal flintlock, he wanders over and asks if he gave her a shot with his flintlock, could he try her savage.
She loved it and asked could we get one. Naturally I said yes, hence purchasing my (our) Kentucky rifle.

Ok i checked with the P O in Conway, Mo. Postage quote for the small shipping box was right at $45 for 4 lbs. Now it may change a little once i get the addy n what part of Australia. So hang in there. I am in the middle of moving from Ky. to Mo. I will get my hands on those 200 gr i have n ship them in Sept. You just pm me your name n addy. I will take a bag & see how many it takes to get close to 4 lbs. Heck we are only here once then our life passes. So at my age i rather do things n be happy.

You can pm me your name & full addy. We are going to send you some of the REALS.

You can pm me your name & full addy. We are going to send you some of the REALS.
So I cant figure out how to PM, I think it may be due to not being a Supporting member yet, but my email is [email protected].

You are very generous and I really do appreciate this. It is nice weather here today (currently winter and has been rainy and miserable) so I am going out to try out the 250's. Hopefully they fly straight and dont tumble.

Will post results once I return this afternoon.

So here is the video where this Muzzle Loading journey all started. My daughter had her 1st shot with a .50 Flintlock at age 12. When she asked could we get a Muzzle Loader, there was no way I could refuse.

Attachments

• 20220213_112218.mp4
    9.7 MB
Back