Patience

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteo

Reaction score
I took a friend out to a Illinois State Park turkey hunting 5/2 on a mehelpyou hunt with no prescouting. After a short boat ride at 4:45 and a quick walk over to my favorite spot we sat down to wait for the birds to wake up. The rain the night before left a fog over the field and it was 5:45 before we heard the first gobble. He was about 250 yrds away and just would'nt quit. At 6:05 we decided to get up and move on this bird as he was the only one gobbling. We got in on him about 75 yrds away and set down at a tree. I could see the bird in the tree when I leaned around and looked with my binocs. My bud said "hey someone has been hunting here", sure enough a fresh 12 gauge casing, some broken brush stuck in the ground on his side of the tree and it was to late to move, I had already called at the bird. Well that bird come out of the tree and gobbled his head off moving back and forth never getting closer out of sight in the brush . Finally he shut up for awhile and gobbled later moving away and again farther away. We jumped up and beat it around to almost where we started in the morning trying to cut him off when my bud grabs me and says "bird there" Sure enough a gobbler had appeared magically in the just planted field about 60 yrds away. While standing there in the just planted field trying to figure out what to do another gobbler pitched down then another and another right from where we started out and this was at 6:30. They did some loud putting and headed into the brush taking Mr. Loudmouth with them. Those birds never made a peep the whole morning till they putted. If only I had practised patience but I sure do like to chase them!!!

If only I had practised patience but I sure do like to chase them!!!

Me too, the chase is exciting and great way to get your morning exercise. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am also guilty of getting too impatioent and going for the chase instead of sitting and waiting.

Latest posts

Back