Patriot deer hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what powder he’s using.
I used the roundball for the reasons already stated and because it is deadly accurate in my gun. I’m a believer in accuracy over all else in hunting since shots and rests and conditions tend to vary so much.
I shoot 777 3f powder

Good deer with the pistol.
I have a CVA mountain pistol 50 cal. 30 grains of 3f Swiss under a patched ball. Shoots really well to 25 yards.

Good deer with the pistol.
I have a CVA mountain pistol 50 cal. 30 grains of 3f Swiss under a patched ball. Shoots really well to 25 yards.

I too have 50 cal CVA Mountain pistol. I plan on trying 240 grain PA Conicals in it. I got several hundred to play with over SWIS 3 f powder. Should be a hoot to shoot.
DL

I too have 50 cal CVA Mountain pistol. I plan on trying 240 grain PA Conicals in it. I got several hundred to play with over SWIS 3 f powder. Should be a hoot to shoot.
DL
I have a box of the PA conicals and thought about trying a few in my pistol. Wasn't sure if they're too heavy a bullet for it. Anxious to hear how you do.

Should not be too heavy. More like 45 colt load. Might have a pretty good kick though. We shall see.
DL

Awesome accomplishment! In Illinois we are required to use a BP pistol that has a published load of 500 ft lb at muzzle so I have a .54 plains pistol but have to shoot like 45 grains to get that I really don’t believe I could even burn that much In an 8”barrel
I live in the people republic of illinois as well. What do you use for a projectile? I have the same pistol as well. I was shooting the light weight powerbelt/35 gr T7 P with good accuracy. I had to change out the sight for the trapper unit. I also used the buffalo ballet. It shot better.

I used the roundball for the reasons already stated and because it is deadly accurate in my gun. I’m a believer in accuracy over all else in hunting since shots and rests and conditions tend to vary so much.
I shoot 777 3f powder
So, 25 grv, a .490 ball and a lubed patch?

Back