Peaceful

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTY

Reaction score
It is almost 1130 at night. It has been snowing and raining off an on for at least a week. There is not much accumulation because the rain has been melting the snow beween snow falls. However there is enough snow on the ground to act like a muffler for the world.

I was just out walking around with the dog. It is so quiet. I am the last person on the power line, and have no near neighbors. Across the canyon is another power company, and I wonder if that power is down as I cannot see another light clear to the horizon. Part of that may be the low cloud cover, but I should at least be able to see lights across the canyon.

I drove down to see the little woman yesterday afternoon, did a few chores for her and drove back up this morning. She is the only person I have seen in somewhere between one and two weeks. Time is blurring. It is marked by getting firewood in for her, and helping with a few other physical tasks.

Hours and days melt together. I sleep and wake when the mood hits me, and meals could be at anytime I feel hungry. While I would like to be working, the structure that imposes on one's day is falling away. I have worked for at least 60 years, but I am getting used to being retired.

It has been me the dog, the turkeys and the deer,and tonight it is so quiet with no lights visible any direction that I could be the last person on the planet. It really is peaceful, but it is probably not healthy to turn into a hermit.

The solstice will be in a couple of days, a minute or two will be added to each span of daylight for the next few months, and pretty soon stuff will start popping out of the ground.

I am darn grateful for this.

Back