Pepper Relish

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
This turned out so good i wanted to share it. I normally just use a good vinegar and ascorbic acid to preserve the relish but the lime juice made it insanely good.

15 jalapenos finely chopped. (seeds and white stuff inside removed)
2 habaneros VERY finely chopped (seeds and stuff removed)
4 small shallots (golf ball size or smaller) finely chopped (use about a 1/3-1/2 of a medium white onion if you dont have shallots)
The juice from 4 limes
3-4 tbs finely chopped fresh cilantro
1-2 tbs white balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp ascorbic acid
Mix everything together and pack tight in a jar.
Leave in the fridge for at least 3 days but to me it tastes best after 7 days.

Add about 1/2 tsp of sugar if it tastes too acidic to you. Mine turned out excellent. Its not too spicy either but im using Mammoth jalapenos which tend to be on the mild side.

PS: make sure to wear gloves and wash your hands/arms very well after chopping. AND whatever you do DONT PICK YOUR NOSE, RUB YOUR EYES or TOUCH YOUR PRIVATES!!!

It sounds really good. But hot spicy foods like that makes me live with a TUMS bottle for days. When I was younger I could eat that stuff. Now it just makes me regret.

sqezer said:
For a cat lover I didn't know you were a cook also. :poke: :lol: sounds great buddy, the wife said she will try it.

You should try my Kimchi Jjigae made with my homemade kimchi. :D I even make rice wine from scratch.

Attachments

• NeckBoneJjigae.JPG
    NeckBoneJjigae.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 347
Homemade red rice wine. This stuff is potent and still has a couple weeks left to ferment.

Attachments

• RedRiceYeastWine3.JPG
    RedRiceYeastWine3.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 336
Thank you for the recipe, I made it 12 days ago and the relish is awesome! I really liked it on a BBQ hamburger, just it & cheese, delicious! I highly recommend wearing gloves when cutting up the peppers. I didn't and it was 5 days before I could touch my eyes without it instantly burning. LoL.

Just waiting for a 4LB chunk of pork shoulder buckboard bacon to finish smoking as I type this.

Happy hunting & good eats!

I put it on simple nachos, Just cheese, chips and relish. I also mix it into mild salsa to give it a little kick.

Another fave is sauerkraut. I make several varieties but i found one that has become very popular. SPICY KRAUT, its similar to Korean kimchi but greatly simplified.

Cut cabbage similar to coleslaw.
Salt the cabbage with pickling salt or non iodine sea salt. 2-4 tablespoons per head. I like to use the least amount possible to weep the cabbage.
Allow to set for a couple hours. Toss every 30 minutes.
Rinse and drain with filtered water three times. Tap water works but chlorine may delay fermentation.
After its well rinsed/drained add 2-4 tablespoons of mild Korean pepper flakes (per head of cabbage) made for kimchi. Its very important to get the correct pepper flakes.
Mix well and pack tight in a sterilized jar. Loosely cover the jar or use an air lock. Dont seal it tight yet....It important to press it down good and keep it pressed down.
Let it set for a few days until it smells sour. This may take 7 days or more depending on temps and the amount of salt used.
Once its smells sour put it in the fridge. When its good and cold you can secure the lid. The kraut will continue to slowly ferment in the fridge and keeps for months. I like mine best after 2 weeks.

Enjoy your spicy kraut on a hotdog with thousand island dressing. Its really quite mild if you get the correct pepper flakes. Imagine a Reuben with a tiny bit of heat.

Back