percussion caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coalforge1

Reaction score
I have a TC Hawken and had been using <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> caps and triple 7 powder. A friend suggested I might want to get a different nipple and try Musket Caps. What would be the advantage/disadvantage either way?

A little hotter spark, easier to handle. Cons - Super hard to find musket caps these days around here.

The re-enactment musket caps shown in the link are light charged and nothing compared to regular musket caps. Not good for me in cold weather hunting.

John

Coalforge said:
I have a TC Hawken and had been using <a href='/tags/11' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #11'>#11</a> caps and triple 7 powder. A friend suggested I might want to get a different nipple and try Musket Caps. What would be the advantage/disadvantage either way?

Get a hotter nipple like Red-hot or Spitflire. Then get hotter caps like CCI-Mag or RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075s

I have fired about 1500 RWS 1075s and they are a ultra reliable  good hot cap.

If you are going to use  RWS 1075 caps be aware they are a fraction taller than No 11 caps and as such won't fit into a std. capper that takes no 11,s.

Ted Cash does make a capper that fits, however.

Oz

I wish I could find the RWS musket .  Used to be able to get them here , but haven't seen any in a few years.

Latest posts

Back