Percussion Lock Shooters - Must Have List!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small container of 4F priming powder. Get it from a flintlock shooter. Yea, I know a ball puller is on the list I've seen and done it myself to pull the ball puller out of the ball then Nothing to thread into.

:scratch:
Shooting patches and a good lube that doesn't get stiff in the cold weather, mink oil.

Ray.......... :Red tup:

we'll get there Ray! Going from the loading accessories to the cleaning items, to the actual shooting gear.

no need to delete.

I will send you some test lube once i do my own testing and make adjustments! I got some new stuff that will keep rust away and i am adding that to my lube.

I've been looking for .50 cal ball pouches, but haven't found any yet. I know they're out there though. Does anyone know where a guy can get them?

You can make one easily from some scrap leather pieces and some leather lace.

Put the smooth side on the inside so the balls won't grab on the rough surface.

Maxi-ballBag1web_zpsa09f4aef.jpg

I'm a new muzzloader fan, so a few terms are new to me,theses I would love to know what they are,
1. Loading and cleaning jag
2. patch worm.
3. nipple pick

I use a torch tip cleaner available from any auto parts store, it has an assortment of round files on it, and for me works great in cleaning the nipples on either rifles or pistols, it that's what <a href='/tags/3' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #3'>#3</a> is.

Thanks guys n gals

Yep exactly what that is and you got the right thing to use too.

Patch worm removed a cleaning patch from the bore if it has accidentally fallen off.

backwoodsman said:
I'm a new muzzloader fan, so a few terms are new to me,theses I would love to know what they are,
1. Loading and cleaning jag
2. patch worm.
3. nipple pick

I use a torch tip cleaner available from any auto parts store, it has an assortment of round files on it, and for me works great in cleaning the nipples on either rifles or pistols, it that's what <a href='/tags/3' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #3'>#3</a> is.

Thanks guys n gals
Sir, as you dig deeper into this sport you'll find you have gathered more items than you could have ever dreamed of. That's the biggest problem, muzzleloaders are like hoarders seen on these shows. We can have so many neat tools that we can't live without, but never use. Over 50 years I have had some of the best garage sales of unused items.

You asking questions is a good way to learn what you really need and will use.

To try and help you and answer your questions.... These members here will do their best to steer you in the least expensive direction.

1. Loading and cleaning jag.
*Loading jag fits on the end of your ramrod (screwed into the end of the ramrod) used for putting even pressure on the ball and patch as its pushed down the barrel.
*The cleaning jag is used in the same manner - used for cleaning the barrel with a cleaning patch.

2. patch worm.
* From time to time when cleaning you will loose a cleaning patch inside the barrel, this item will fit as the other two do - on the end of your ramrod, used to grab that lost patch - you pull it out of the barrel.

3. nipple pick.
* If the nipple gets fouled you need one of these to clear the blackpowder build up inside the nipple.

Yes, but its not as harsh as the torch tip cleaners, I have used them on old original guns that I didn't want to hurt the old finish by removing the orignal nipple. So the torch tip cleaner worked nicely not showing anything was touched to the original finish of the gun. Biggest problem with the torch tip cleaaner is like you said (round file), files may/will enlarge the surface they are used on depends on how much they are used. The smooth muzzle loading nipple pick doesn't have this issue.

Hope this helps, keep asking questions, your in the right place for getting answers.  Thanks for asking...

Here's a ball puller that I use and recommend from Track Of The Wolf.  It's much sharper and easily drills into the ball.  (I know from experience because I usually push the ball down the barrel "before" the powder at least once an outing) :oops:
bp-32-8_0_zpslf3nyg5e.jpg

patocazador said:
You can make one easily from some scrap leather pieces and some leather lace.

Put the smooth side on the inside so the balls won't grab on the rough surface.

Maxi-ballBag1web_zpsa09f4aef.jpg
And after you've made your ball pouch, soak it in several changes of warm water, then run it thru the rinse cycle of youyr next load of laundry.  Many tanning methods leave materials in the leather that promote corrosion of your lead balls.  Washing & rinsing flushes it all out, keeping your balls looking shiney & new.

Latest posts

Back