Perfect Treestand? Big Guy? Fear Of Heights?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello folks!
As a newbie here, I’m really enjoying the forum!
I wanted to give you guys a review of a treestand I bought last year.

I’ve always been a big guy and last fallI was measuring out at 6’4” - 348lbs.
I’ve never liked heights at all and love hunting!
Since I wasn’t a big fan of lock ons or climbers I did most of my hunting from the ground because I really love to be mobile and still do.
But last fall I found a climbing treestand that is comfortable , not to heavy and rated at 350lbs!
Best news is that I trust it!
I went to Sportsman’s warehouse and bought a summit Titan .
After practicing and testing with it I grew a lot of confidence in it!
I hunted out of it about 10 times and then hog hunted and practiced all summer.

This past August I was diagnosed with Diabetes and had to drop some pounds.
I had already lost about 20, but since August I’ve dropped 66 more with diet and exercise . I’m now at 254 lbs and feel great, but still a work in progress!

My goal is to take a self guided , public land muzzle loader hunt In Colorado or Montana next fall. Still got a lot of getting in shape to do.

The moral of the story is the Summit Titan.
When I got it I climbed up on it about 4 feet and had my son hand me 200 lbs of weight plates. So I had around 550 lbs on the treestand.
I jumped up and down on it and it never budged !
I then took it to my buddy’s shop where he sprayed it with magnaflux powder and used a black light to check the aluminum and welds for cracks . It was perfect!
My worry about quality and strength was put to bed.
I then bought a hunter safety system harness that barely fit at the time because I was so big. I tested on it a little and was convinced that it would keep the top of my head off the dirt.
Now I actually had to adjust the harness and have room to spare!
This past season I climbed in the stand about 12 hunts and stayed all day in comfort!
I can now fit the Viper (snugly) and the Goliath is the right size. But I’m staying with the Titan because I trust it and can hunt all day like I’m sitting in my recliner!

There are a lot of us big guys! There are a lot of guys who don’t like heights! It’s nothing to be embarrassed about!

I will say that at $350 the Summit Titan is the best hunting investment I’ve ever made!
I will continue to use it, but when I don’t it’s not because of the treestand , it’s because I love being mobile and scouting to hunt. I’ve taken most of my deer and hogs that way.

I hope this helps someone out there who is a big guy or lady and/ or has an issue with heights!
I never thought I would say it, but it’s nothing for me to hunt at 20-25 feet now.
Good luck and have a blessed day !

Diabetes is no joke but can be manageable.
Yep, stay on it. I go to the doctor every 3-4 months. The people who have the real problems miss there checkups and or ignore renewing their scrips. The effects are magnified if you smoke or drink alcohol.

Idid 6 self guided elk hunts in Colorado. During the first gun season. On those 6 hunts I killed a 5 x 5 and a 6 x 6. I hunt in many states and have never and will never pay anyone to show me the game. Do your research, get in shape, have the right equipment, and leave a map with a loved one to show them where you hunt. Be aware that after you shoot an elk the real work begins. Good luck.

Oh, youll see some of the best scenery in the world. Take lots of pics.

Welcome aboard from Minnesota.

Congrats on the weight loss. Keep it up.

What I'll offer as to your trip into the high country, get in great shape. No dood shape, great shape. When I was doing the out-west, in the mountains stuff yet I'd start with a backpack and a 25lb bag of lead reloading shot and walk three miles every day. After a week, I'd add another bag of shot and do the three a day. After a week I upped it to four miles a day. I added another bag of shot and another mile until I was carrying 75 pounds and walking 5 miles a day. Granted, walking that far every day wasn't always possible but that was my goal. I never regretted doing this well in advance of the trip, five months out at least. I hunted in the mountains five times and used this routine ahead of every hunt. Snapbang offers some great advice too.

Enjoy your hunt!

Im with you on heights.....I dont like em!!! I build my stands into trees on my property about 8ft high max...and have killed plenty of deer from them, so going up higher doesnt make a difference, at least to me..and I put plenty of rails around them and then cover with material to hid movement in the stand and it also acts like a wind break...
a few years ago I changed my eating habits and cut out most sugar and carbs , not only loosing weigh but feeling much better and not feeling bloated from grains or useless carbs...ounce you kick the sugar and carb craving, usually 2 weeks, it goes much better..and then you can add back some goodies here and there..the best part is I have a killer sweet tooth, that has been curbed...

welcome aboard DVMike. Great to hear about the weight loss and new tree stand. I am in the same boat you are. I have started to work out, and diet to control my type 2. I also have a summit viper sit/stand, and want to go to Colorado for a muzzy hunt.. Good luck to your future endeavors and keep your powder dry…

Welcome and congratulations! Your story will be an inspiration for many, I’m sure. Stay safe and best of luck in your endeavors.

Sorry to hear that you joined the diabetes club. I’ve been a member for 10 years now. I’m also a pretty good size guy at 5 foot 11, 250 pounds but my build is linebacker style with very broad shoulders. However, that has nothing to do with how the diabetes attacks my body. Fortunately, I’m hunting on all private land and I either hunt in ground blinds or very comfortable one and a half man ladder stands.
Good luck with your weight loss and controlling your diabetes in addition to safe and successful hunting

Greg

Been hunting out of a Titan for 5-6 yrs got it for the extra room to move around great stand... look up Third hand tree stand straps and get ou a set to put on it, when you use them the stand will not budge when you are standing up and leaning against the rail..Last ones I bought like 24.00 if I remember right well worth the money.
Heres a link to his web page, they also sell them on Amazon.

https://www.thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=13

Been hunting out of a Titan for 5-6 yrs got it for the extra room to move around great stand... look up Third hand tree stand straps and get ou a set to put on it, when you use them the stand will not budge when you are standing up and leaning against the rail..Last ones I bought like 24.00 if I remember right well worth the money.

Hey thanks!

Just saw this last night. Just ordered a set this morning!
Thanks!

Congrats on the weight loss, it stinks about your health issues.

I have 2 Summit Vipers and they are well worth the money and very comfortable to boot. I haven’t used them in a couple years, but next year they will be put to use.
Do you have the newer Viper or the Orig VIper? I got the Orig Viper @26lbs & NOT sound deadened. But I loved the stand & it got used a whole lot until times got hard & I had to sell it. I got to a later point where I couldn't carry around that weight anymore anyway. The newer ones are 21lbs & sound deadened, but I wanted even lighter & mostly only have rather small dia pine trees to strap on to, so I got the Viper Mini @18lbs. & sound deadened. Its a pretty snug fit with my cold weather gear on, but still very huntable & just as comfy to spend dark to dark hunts in. If I ever needed another self-climber, it would be another Summit Viper series.

Hello folks!
As a newbie here, I’m really enjoying the forum!
I wanted to give you guys a review of a treestand I bought last year.

I’ve always been a big guy and last fallI was measuring out at 6’4” - 348lbs.
I’ve never liked heights at all and love hunting!
Since I wasn’t a big fan of lock ons or climbers I did most of my hunting from the ground because I really love to be mobile and still do.
But last fall I found a climbing treestand that is comfortable , not to heavy and rated at 350lbs!
Best news is that I trust it!
I went to Sportsman’s warehouse and bought a summit Titan .
After practicing and testing with it I grew a lot of confidence in it!
I hunted out of it about 10 times and then hog hunted and practiced all summer.

This past August I was diagnosed with Diabetes and had to drop some pounds.
I had already lost about 20, but since August I’ve dropped 66 more with diet and exercise . I’m now at 254 lbs and feel great, but still a work in progress!

My goal is to take a self guided , public land muzzle loader hunt In Colorado or Montana next fall. Still got a lot of getting in shape to do.

The moral of the story is the Summit Titan.
When I got it I climbed up on it about 4 feet and had my son hand me 200 lbs of weight plates. So I had around 550 lbs on the treestand.
I jumped up and down on it and it never budged !
I then took it to my buddy’s shop where he sprayed it with magnaflux powder and used a black light to check the aluminum and welds for cracks . It was perfect!
My worry about quality and strength was put to bed.
I then bought a hunter safety system harness that barely fit at the time because I was so big. I tested on it a little and was convinced that it would keep the top of my head off the dirt.
Now I actually had to adjust the harness and have room to spare!
This past season I climbed in the stand about 12 hunts and stayed all day in comfort!
I can now fit the Viper (snugly) and the Goliath is the right size. But I’m staying with the Titan because I trust it and can hunt all day like I’m sitting in my recliner!

There are a lot of us big guys! There are a lot of guys who don’t like heights! It’s nothing to be embarrassed about!

I will say that at $350 the Summit Titan is the best hunting investment I’ve ever made!
I will continue to use it, but when I don’t it’s not because of the treestand , it’s because I love being mobile and scouting to hunt. I’ve taken most of my deer and hogs that way.

I hope this helps someone out there who is a big guy or lady and/ or has an issue with heights!
I never thought I would say it, but it’s nothing for me to hunt at 20-25 feet now.
Good luck and have a blessed day !
Big dude AND afraid of heights, I'd say " stay on the ground then ", but you made the best choice possible with what you got. I'm glad you can use it & enjoy it. I wouldn't own any other self-climber but a Summit Viper series.

I still hunt out of my old Summit Goliath. The only time I've ever felt "venuerable" was when I picked a tree that was too small. The stand is fantastic. I haven't seen a Titan yet, I'll have to check them out.

Back