Pheasant hunting...Which choke?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I guess I'm going on my first ever pheasant hunt coming up in March! I think I've decided to take my Ruger Red Label 12ga.. Question is...Which choke tubes do I use? IC and modified? Full and modified?

I do a lot of pheasant hunting and my SxS has full and modified with double triggers. You can put a lighter load in the mod.and a heavier load in the full, also depending on whether you have a GOOD dog can depend on the shot size. Pheasants can really run if not killed (such as a broken wing)
Redclub

IC and Mod is perfect Chuck. Stoke it with 6's or 7 1/2 shot and you'll be fine. I can't wait!!! I'm really looking forward to it :lol:

Chuck,

I notice that your hunt is sceduled for March.......on commerical shooting preserves especially at the end of the season the birds are notorious for not holding well and running ahead & flushing wild. By the end of the season the available cover generally has been beated down which sometimes makes it difficult to hold the birds. I normally go with cyl or skeet 1 and imp cyl if the birds are holding well......cyl and SK2(light Mod) work well also. I would go prepared for both situations.....if the birds aren't holding and flushing ahead then you can use the Imp Cyl/Lt Mod and a Imp Mod/Lt full for the longer shots. I'd also have some heavier loads like the Fiocchi Pheasant loads in #5's in case you have to take the longer shots........we are scheduled to go on a bird hunt Feb 18th and they told us to expect the birds to be starting to "not hold well" but that is up here in Ohio......it might be different down there......good hunting!

VENISONEATR said:
Stoke it with 6's or 7 1/2 shot and you'll be fine. :lol:

Have you had good luck with 7 1/2 shot? I would think that's to light. I like 6 shot for Grouse :shock: and Pheasant.

I shoot 28 gauge and my gun patterns the 7 1/2's really well. I shoot them with a modified choke tube and haven't had any problems. Of course these are pen reared birds I'm shooting. A 6 lb. native bird might look back and laugh at me. Many guys swear by #5's. I have never shot them so I really can't say. In my club we used to stock alot of chukar partridge so I have lots of 71/2's left over....
I may have to break down and by myself that Ruger Gold Label I've been drooling over for the last 3 years... I actually saw one at the gun shop a couple weeks ago!!!! Pistol grip version :wink:

VENISONEATR said:
I may have to break down and by myself that Ruger Gold Label I've been drooling over for the last 3 years... I actually saw one at the gun shop a couple weeks ago

Relax, Chuck might sale you his. :)

Does he have a GOLD Label. I know he said he was bringing his RED Label.

:huh?: :huh?: :huh?: :huh?: :huh?: :huh?:

Chuck if you have the Gold Label would you mind brining it along ? I'd sure like to give one a try....

On a side by side a double trigger and an english stock is the way to go. IMO of course. A double trigger is truly one that is selectible on demand and a straight stock is exceedingly fast on quick shots Your hands are automatically alinged with each other. Take one out and try on tough grouse shots and you will see why. My next shotgun will be a 28 ga. AYA or Ugartechea (I would like a Merkel though). This will be a dedicated Grouse gun. I probably have as many shotguns as Chuck has scopes :shock: Well maybe not quite that many.
Anyway No.5 shot is the way to go for pheasants.
Redclub

I've hunted wild pheasants in Iowa since 1975. I started with a .410 3 inch full choke shooting 6 shot (thanks, Dad!), then went to 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch. I hunted a lot one year with a guy who fancied 3 inch shells, but he paid more and dropped the same or fewer number of birds as I did shooting 2 3/4 inch shells. At first, the 12's were full choke, but then I went to modified. I would not use any shot smaller than 6's. I've shot most of my birds with low base 6 shot rather than magnum loads. Late in the season, when the birds get jumpy, I might go to 4's. 5's are my favorite. If hunting over pointing dogs (or close working flushing dogs), IC to mod with 5 or 6 shot should suffice. If you want to shoot birds that are flushing wild, full and 4's would be the way I would go. I've never hunted a preserve, so can't offer any advice about that. Good luck and hope you have fun!

How's it going Chuck?

I/C an MOD. tubes will work just fine up here. I actually prefer both to be MOD. tubes in my 12 ga. Other than that 6 or 7 1/2 shot will work well for you.

Most shots will be fairly close , but if they use flushing dogs instead of pointers, you may see a few longer shots.

It should be a good time they have a real nice club out there.

My Sweet Sixteen is a fixed modified choke and in it I shoot 5's & 6's on wild or pen raised birds. On pen raised birds I really enjoy a full choke in my BPS .410 as I like giving them a bit of distance so I do not damage to much meat. Just pack your tubes along and if you note the birds busting out ahead of the dogs change to your Mod/Full....

Latest posts

Back