Picked up a Greyhound Rescue Dog Today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
falcon said:
Racing greyhounds are often neglected, abused and tossed out.  

RonC, it is a good thing you and your lady are doing, caring for greyhounds.
I know of a half dozen families that are doing as Ron all within a few miles of each other. Nice ...  :cheers:

There was a time that a Greyhound, past its racing prime, would take a 22 to the head and be thrown in a pit. That ended some time ago. Then, retired Greyhounds would be treated as an afterthought and wouldn't be cared for. Our female had raced successfully over 50 times and was then bred once. They didn't take care of her and as I mentioned, she had to have 13 teeth removed due to advanced gum disease. She had to be treated for heart worm and intestinal parasites. Her back was damaged and she limps on her right leg.
That mistreatment, too, is coming to an end as more and more tracks shut their doors.  The Colorado Greyhound Adoption group has placed more than 5000 Greyhounds over the last 20 years.

The coyotes are multiplying out of hand! They are in Denver, along the rivers. Populations are expanding in the suburbs. In Denver, they shot and trapped coyotes with some success. They found that the culling resulted in less competition for food, so the females gave birth to more pups and raised more of them successfully. A year or two after a culling saw even more coyotes!

The town of Golden has seen its share of bears and cougars. The young adults come down the foothills along Clear Creek looking for new territory.
Ron

they are a lap dog. people dont realize they are quiet in the house. their is also a fellow who drives the back roads around here with a few grey hounds and when a coyote is spotted he turns them loose. they explode into total energy and catch the coyote in a short time and snap its neck as they go by it. also about 20 miles from here their is a rural man who raises a bunch of them and when i drove by his place they were loping with ease along side my pickup smiling at me and putting no effort into keeping up with me. its too cold for them to be kept out side but they do make a good house dog. maybe some day i will get one. i also like the pyroneese. poss. miss spelling. had a couple of them when i lived in n.dak. rural. they kept stray dogs and deer off of my place. they are loving and can take the cold weather. the only thing they left alone was my daughters mean huge tom cat. he ruled every thing.

Greyhounds were used as coyote hunters, particularly in Europe.
Ours like to do "Zoomies" in the back yard, sprinting back and forth. In the house, they just like to lounge around, one of them "roaching" - laying on her back with legs up in the air.
dixie_10.jpg

As you can see from the eyes, she really is an alien dog. :D
Ron

Ron there are several youtube videos of Coyote hunting with Greyhounds in this country.  The last one I watched they were hunting in Iowa.  Coyotes can run extremely fast but not quite as fast as a Greyhound.  :D

Interesting, Joe. I didn't know that it was that common in the USA.
Thanks,
Ron

You just went to the top of my list for good guys. Good for you.

A man and his dog(s) is a very special relationship.

Hi, Pete!

My wife spotted 2 coyotes across the street from us during her 6:30 am dog walk. Our Greys were on high alert, with ears up and eyes glued to the coyotes. These were a couple of healthy, hearty looking coyotes with beautiful coats.

The new Greyhound has been spayed and the adoption papers are now signed. She is now an official part of the family.
Ron

Be careful with coyotes. They like to lure in the dog with 1-2 coyotes or even a female in heat then they attack with the whole pack.

They've tried that with my dog.

Latest posts

Back