Pictures of baby crows in a nest with Mama Crow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a crow would be a gourmet treat compared to some things I have eaten. I was not brave enough to try them, but I have seen street vendors with piles of cooked chicken heads. I was told you hold them by the beak and nibble away.

The following experience was with ravens, not crows, but I assume they have some similarities.
About three years ago, my wife and I were hiking in Rocky Mountain National Park, right around this time of year, late March. We were in mixed aspen and pine trees, with over a foot of snow on the ground. Up ahead in the trees, I heard an unusual and curios sound. Intrigued, we snuck ahead until we got within about 30 yards of two ravens up in an aspen. They are common in Northern Colorado. One, I assume the female, kept making the sound, coaxing but also soothing in nature. The male, however, nervously moved back and forth on a nearby branch. After a time, he hopped up and they mated, which lasted just a few seconds. Then they flew off.
I've seen a lot of neat things in God's grand creations, but that was one of the most thrilling/ awesome/beautiful things I've ever witnessed!

I think a crow would be a gourmet treat compared to some things I have eaten. I was not brave enough to try them, but I have seen street vendors with piles of cooked chicken heads. I was told you hold them by the beak and nibble away.
I actually saw chicken feet for sale at the food lion the other day. All wrapped up in plastic tray and labeled.
We have many poultry house's here that grow chicken and turkey from egg to market size.
I like chicken gizzards and hearts and get them all wrapped up to. Pressure cooker and fried... 😋

When we were in Hawaii the last time [Oahu] we took a trip to chinatown. Vendors there had pig heads, chicken feet, fish carcasses for sale....all sorts of stuff that would have found my garbage can. Its a cultural thing.

One spring day while mushroom hunting Ma and I met up with a couple of Cambodian kids with a coffee can full of robin chicks, maybe twenty or thirty of them. On another occasion during deer season we stopped by a primative campground to fill water bottles at a well with a pump. There were maybe twenty Cambodian hunters there gathered around a large campfire where they were roasting deer feet still attached to the lower legs. Again, culture.

I've come across Asians with a campfire cooking trout they'd caught by shoving a stick down the throat of the fish without cleaning them. Culture.

Long ago I came to realize the in some cultures if it was once alive, any portion of, its going to be eaten.

Last edited:
As a draftee they ran us through a survival course, fake POW camp set up. An instructor bit the head off a chicken and drank its blood. That is the original meaning of the word "geek".
Once again, I was in trouble when I said I was not eating bugs if long pig was available. Supposedly long pig was quite popular during the siege of Stalingrad.

Chicken feet go in what we would think of as a soup dish. They also make great toys. You can pull on the ligaments sticking out the end and make the toes wiggle. I massacreed many a chicken for Sunday dinner as a kid. Two each Sunday.

Actually chicken feet are usually braised and often served as a dim sum item. Dim Sum is sort of like a dumpling buffet but they bring the food to you on carts. You get a few pieces in each steamer basket. They are served in Korea too with a spicy sweet sauce. In China its more like salty sweet.

These are super tasty.
2015_0410_Chicken_feet_dim_sum.jpg

I threw out a half loaf of bread once and watched a crow stack 3 pieces up and fly away. They definitely have a thought process.

I had a teacher when I was a young man he was a Vietnamese boat person, some of you from the war times remember that,, he was Chinese but from Vietnam I trained with him for several years he always fed me lunch after we trained, I remember the very first Sunday with the cartilage in both hands busted so much I couldn't hold a fork,, he stir fried the meal that didn't take him long, they were pretty little rings mixed in with noodles and vegetables. I asked him what it was the smell was great I love thai and Asian food,, it was chicken butts and I don't mean the hindquarters,,, the actual Chicken Ring of fire I did not eat much that day.

Putting perfectly good food in the trash is strongly frowned upon in many Asian countries. Very little goes to waste. Its not all that different here if you look into dishes that were originally "slave foods". Things like greens and parts of the pig the well off didnt want to eat. Some of these dishes are now very mainsteam. One of my markets even sells fish heads. In some places things like the tuna collar is highly prized table fair. Grilled tuna collar is outstanding.

There is not much i wont sample. The list is pretty short really. Brains and blood based foods im not a fan of eating.

I will try anything once ,,it's the chewy texture I have trouble with with some of the body parts etc!

I will try anything once ,,it's the chewy texture I have trouble with with some of the body parts etc!
:) I'll say this, you're a better man than I.

Growing up exceptionally poor, we ate what we had or could get. Most of it was trapped, shot or caught.
Once I grew up and got a job, I vowed that ship would never happen again. To date is hasn't.

I remember the first time i had Chinese braised pork belly. Oh man the fat and texture of the skin was something i wasnt sure about. Now i adore Hong Shoa Rou (red cooked pork) over rice and the Taiwan style version called Lou Rou Fan. (minced pork belly over rice). I remember when pork belly was dirt cheap and about its only use was for fried chicharrones and bacon.

I remember when ox tails were nearly a waste product and now they are $7lb and that was before the current madness. Braised ox tails and butter beans is some darn good eating. Collards right out of the garden....OH MAN.

Can you remember when cod was the cheap fish to buy?...I can but cod is some of the best eating.

I guess I should ask if anyone has any favorite Crow recipes?? Better yet maybe a crow egg omelette that's what I'd like to have

I vowed that ship would never happen again. To date is hasn't.
Im just he opposite because hard times taught us how to make sauerkraut and numerous other things for the lean winter months. I wont even buy store bought kraut anymore. Hard times are a good teacher. We canned so much food each year we ate well until garden fresh was available again.

I was a picky eater as a kid I went to a private church school up in Michigan as a teenager you only got three square meals a day I learned when it was meal time you ate what was put before you ,there was no refrigerator to get a snack out of and no vending machine truth is if you think about it hunger is a dynamic motivator isn't it

Latest posts

Back