Pictures of baby crows in a nest with Mama Crow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an owl follow me when I was young ,, for about a mile down an old gravel road in a pine plantation,, it would fly and land up in a limb wait on me and when I got close and a little bit past it it would take off again and catch up to me, had never had a bird act like that before probably was one of the great spirits from the Indian tribe or something,, got about 500 yards from the house it was still following,,,, I'll won't tell you how that story ended but it did end.

A few of us were bellied up to the bar at a local watering hole a number of years ago in Alaska. We were in the process of solving the worlds problems, when someone brought up Ravens. None of us ever seen a small Raven, nor even a nest. One of the guys mentioned that they do the nesting things miles away. I used to see them one after another heading east in the late afternoon heading wherever it was they go. Never looked in to it further.

I see I'm not alone in my search,,, I will not give up it's just too interesting of a bird I know at times in the past I have stood in awe of the black dust cloud that a 22 250 makes at about 300 yd I regret that as an old man. My grandpa used to make black bird pie I wonder if crows are edible too.

I'd have to be starving hungry to eat a crow....They are the first to get to the gut pile on many a deer I have killed. I have had them wait in trees while I'm gutting the deer, even to the point of running them off when I went to the truck for the deer cart.

Perhaps that's where the slang term eat crow came from maybe Crow taste like dog food I don't know but I'll take a bite of anything once

I always tell people that crows multiply by asexual reproduction .. .
Seems like no one has seen a baby crow... but they have seen baby
robins , sparrows, and other birds.

I've been interested in birds since I was a kid.
This is probably one of the better field guides to birds. Highly recommend. View attachment 20499
I've had all kinda critters growin up, plenty of wild rescues or caught to raise. I didn't get into birds until I got a GF a cockatiel. It turned out to be unbelievably amazing & I ended up with 5 of them & I got my brothers female Blue & Gold Macaw when she was 15. Shes 33 now & sil amazes me very day. Absolutely nothing like gettin to know birds. I volanteered in my friends pet shot just so I could handle all the diff animals, especially all the birds.

I see I'm not alone in my search,,, I will not give up it's just too interesting of a bird I know at times in the past I have stood in awe of the black dust cloud that a 22 250 makes at about 300 yd I regret that as an old man. My grandpa used to make black bird pie I wonder if crows are edible too.
For some dang reason back in the hills of Wva when I was young, my kin all had a blast shooting crows off the corn stalks with rifles & I dont ever recall seein a scope either. Them all drinkin & shooting crows was a fun thing for them all to do. That puff of feathers made them all LOL

Yes I remember those days,,but I'm in agreement with the if you're not going to eat it you do not shoot IT crowd,,,if I catch my son's or grandson's killing for sport they better be hungry cause what got massacred is for supper!

There's not a time I step in the woods around where I live that I don't see a crow, if I had kept statistical records of all the game all my life that I've seen every time I was hunting the crow would be number one on that list, I've never really thought about that ,,that is unique in itself,, but
I was thinking today I cannot ever remember deer hunting or hog hunting or just walking in the woods and not seeing a crow usually multiple, most of the time you don't see them alone,, again I'm not curious about what I haven't learned reading or watching videos or listening or reading Google I'm amazed by how much I haven't learned by physically observing.!

A good friend of mine shot 2 as a kid. Cleaned them up ,took them home and told his his mom cook up these birds. He said it stunk the whole house up, his ma threw them out, and threatened to do the same to him , if he tried that again.

I've been looking for a crow nest it seems my whole life. Always wanted to get a little one and make a pet of it like a " parrot ". I guess there like baby pigeons, they just...appear...lol

What was that old childhood rhyme?
4 and 20 black birds baked in a pie, can't remember the rest.
Sing a Song of Sixpence
BY MOTHER GOOSE
Sing a song of sixpence,
A pocket full of rye,
Four and twenty blackbirds
Baked in a pie.

When the pie was opened
The birds began to sing—
Wasn't that a dainty dish
To set before the king?

The king was in the counting-house
Counting out his money,