Pictures of baby crows in a nest with Mama Crow

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of the more interesting birds ive seen are the starlings. Watching them schooling their young and vocalizing is kind of amazing. They dont try to hide much, but are still pretty wary of me. Ive been using them for target practice for years.
Starlings are amazing mimics. We have a nesting pair at my office and the male and I whistle back and forth whenever I show up there.

On our backyard porch, with 10 nest boxes.
Doc,1F57DF4C-D8E0-493A-8CB6-D56DE44F0ED8.jpeg

Attachments

• C96E2B78-BC9B-44F3-9420-5DAD5ED9D0B1.jpeg
    C96E2B78-BC9B-44F3-9420-5DAD5ED9D0B1.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 2
I used to hunt crows back in the day when the county offered a bounty on the, some I would turn in the others as the coyotes were offered to an Indian, my family had befriended, he would breast out the crows and butcher up the yotes, he had a mixture to soak every thing in then it hit an open flame, I spent several years growning up in South East Asia among the Mong, and the Rhades of the hills two vasty different peoples, they ate any thing that walk,crawed,flew, slithered. it was al good.

A few years ago a long lost friend from that time told me about a recipe for crow, breast them out, small slits in the meat ,over night soak in coke, then an over night soak in a mix of sesame oil,ginger and brown sugar, wrapped with bacon like a dove breast then over open coals medium heat , they turned out great

A few years ago a long lost friend from that time told me about a recipe for crow, breast them out, small slits in the meat ,over night soak in coke, then an over night soak in a mix of sesame oil,ginger and brown sugar, wrapped with bacon like a dove breast then over open coals medium heat , they turned out great
Everything is great wrapped in bacon

Some of the more interesting birds ive seen are the starlings. Watching them schooling their young and vocalizing is kind of amazing. They dont try to hide much, but are still pretty wary of me. Ive been using them for target practice for years.
Starlings are another thing altogether in my mind. First of all they are an invasive species. They are not native to this country...they were introduced by one individual around 1890 in New York's Central Park. As is true for all living things, they are a mix of positive and negative. They and the common house sparrow, another non-native bird species have the nasty predisposition of displacing native birds from their nests rather than build one of their own. I despise this quality and I unapologetically target them when ever possible. I have an Eastern Bluebird nest on my front deck and they have come back every year for 14 years now. Sparrows attempt to run off the bluebirds after they have built their nests. What the little bastards don't know is I sit inside with my living room with my Gamo Big Cat and reward them with a .177 pellet for their trouble. I don't tolerate feral dogs and cats in the field either.

Starlings are another thing altogether in my mind. First of all they are an invasive species. They are not native to this country...they were introduced by one individual around 1890 in New York's Central Park. As is true for all living things, they are a mix of positive and negative. They and the common house sparrow, another non-native bird species have the nasty predisposition of displacing native birds from their nests rather than build one of their own. I despise this quality and I unapologetically target them when ever possible. I have an Eastern Bluebird nest on my front deck and they have come back every year for 14 years now. Sparrows attempt to run off the bluebirds after they have built their nests. What the little bastards don't know is I sit inside with my living room with my Gamo Big Cat and reward them with a .177 pellet for their trouble. I don't tolerate feral dogs and cats in the field either.
Agreed, thats why i target practice on the starlings(neighbor calls then grackles). They chased a pair of wood ducks out of a tree in my yard. They didnt leave til i started shooting them and a raccoon move in and ate all their eggs.

A good friend went to college to be a game warden, never became one and is now retired
This was the early 1970s and he definitely did his share of recreational mind altering substances

He told me in college his buddies and he climbed a tree and captured a baby crow. He went on to explain that if you slit their tongue length ways you can teach the crow to talk
When I ask for details he only shakes his head and says crows are dirty birds

Back