Pigeons

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not tried them yet, buy my daughters farm and farm buildings are loaded with pigeons and pigeon poop. I might take out the pellet rifle and give it a try. Just eat the breasts I assume.
Funny story about pigeons from my past.
When I was a young man I was a bird dog and bird hunting nut! We would train our pointers with release and return quail, and live pigeons in release traps. We would go down to the biggest nearby city late at night and catch pigeons under the underpasses with a 10’ piece of copper tubing with a fishing net duct taped to the end. One guy held the flash lite, the other handled the net. We were busy catching one night when a police cruiser pulled up beside us, and asked what the hell we were doing. My partner, without hesitation said, “catching pigeons” “what you never tried them”! The cop said nothing, slowly rolled up his window, yes this was before power windows, and drove off!

Attachments

• IMG_3145.jpeg
    IMG_3145.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 0
They are eaten in France as a “specialty” meal - not quite a delicacy, but close.

I think in the purest sense of the word, squab refers to unfledged pigeons... those too young to fly. I'll bet it tastes about as good as the dozen or so of baby robins a couple of asian kids had in a coffee can one spring day that I came across while trout fishing.

They taste terrible if they're shot after they've been feeding in manure spread in the farm fields. They eat used corn. Taste and smell bad. After that experience, I never shot another one.

I think in the purest sense of the word, squab refers to unfledged pigeons... those too young to fly. I'll bet it tastes about as good as the dozen or so of baby robins a couple of asian kids had in a coffee can one spring day that I came across while trout fishing.
make any trades?

Anyone ever eat them? I've been exterminating them when the land on my roof. I hate wasting them but they're making a mess on my roofs.
I've eaten them for many years. I used to shoot them in the hog lot at my grandparent's farm. Grandma made pot pies with the breast meat. Years later I shot them on the wing out of barns and out buildings with a shotgun. I like to use a small fillet knife and carve the breast meat away from the bone and pan fry them with salt and pepper in butter. Really good eating!

At the dairies I shoot for the pigeons land in the cow manure and have wet feet as the go into the ceiling. I shoot hundreds of pigeons with my air rifle. I wouldn't eat them for anything.
But the one dairy makes ice cream and bottled milk. I get free milk and ice cream.

Attachments

• 20200515_222239.jpg
    20200515_222239.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200515_222217.jpg
    20200515_222217.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Back